Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth 990fx Bios Update Aftermath

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2012 1:26:58 PM

IDK wth went wrong, but yesterday, just arriving from my vacations, i checked on the asus website to find a new bios update... downloaded it, copy/paste to my flash drive, reboot, ez flash, "BIOS UPDATE COMPLETE, PLEASE REBOOT"...

so far so good...

surprise comes when it was booting, a series of beeps began with no post at all..

"4 low frequency long beeps, 1 high frequency long beep, 3 high frequency short beeps, 4 low frequency long beeps"

tried to reset the cmos... no good
removed battery, watied... no good
both at the same time... no good

tried booting with another mobo with my current parts, and it worked... unfortunately, it was a friend's mobo...

no error leds are on (error leds are: cpu_led, boot_device_led, dram_led, vga_led)...

no beep codes were found after the extensive search i made...

anyone... please help...

oh, by the way, i've had that mobo since october and everything was A-OK up until that bios flash...

i was flashing the bios to version 0901 or something like that...

please, a lot of help needed =)
January 12, 2012 2:44:35 PM

Was there any reason why you were updating the BIOS?

You should NOT update the BIOS if there isn't anything wrong with the system.
(for reasons such as this)

To me it sounds like you now own a brick. I do not know what the beeps mean, but like I said, sounds like it is a goner.

I guess you could try to RMA it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 2:52:54 PM

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...

Go to the page and download your motherboard manual.

Page 2-44:

BIOS Beep Description
One short beep VGA detected Quick boot set to disabled No keyboard detected

One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated) No memory detected

One continuous beep followed by three short beeps
No VGA detected

One continuous beep followed by four short beeps
Hardware component failure

I would start by replugging/reseating in everything except the CPU. Which would include, GPU, RAM, Power supply connectors. Also try putting in 1 Ram stick at a time.

Sardon is correct. Unless you are having issues with your motherboard, it is best to keep your BIOS and not update it.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 3:05:22 PM

*Argh duplicate. IDK what happened.
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:34:55 PM

Chainzsaw said:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...

Go to the page and download your motherboard manual.

Page 2-44:

BIOS Beep Description
One short beep VGA detected Quick boot set to disabled No keyboard detected

One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated) No memory detected

One continuous beep followed by three short beeps
No VGA detected

One continuous beep followed by four short beeps
Hardware component failure

I would start by replugging/reseating in everything except the CPU. Which would include, GPU, RAM, Power supply connectors. Also try putting in 1 Ram stick at a time.

Sardon is correct. Unless you are having issues with your motherboard, it is best to keep your BIOS and not update it.

been there done that... i updated the bios to kepp it up to date... im not a noob user and i know the risks of doing it... it is not the first time i update this mobo's bios...

i bought a new battery just in case the battery was dead, with no prevail...

i read in a forum, that by creating a boot-flash drive containing the new bios file, and a autoexec file, a new flash can be done...

or, buy another bios... or hot-flash it, but i dont know anyone who has the same board here where i live
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 4:48:12 PM

I'm curious what exactly happened, as I was thinking of getting this exact motherboard for my FX 8120 or 8150 build, once i get enough $.

Since you've said you tried everything, the next best thing to do would be to try email Asus. Their technicians should know what those error codes are.
m
l
January 14, 2012 12:03:53 PM

hey Chainzsaw, the sabertooth 990fx is one of the GREATEST mobo's you will find... since im a pro gamer, i bought that one instead of the crosshair v, and im really satisfied...

i was updating the bios to the latest version just in case i managed to win a 8150 or something like that... but tragedy struck on me...

i think i should replace the bios with a new one... by doing a hot-flash...
m
l
!