Sign in with
Your question

College Student w/ 600 USD budget

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
February 9, 2011 7:20:22 PM

Hello everyone this is my first post. I am glad to have become a member of this popular site. This will be my first build ever!! I am a starving student and I can only afford approx 600. I used Microsoft office on the daily, I have just picked up a dslr so I’ve been using lightroom, and I play video games on the pc like: League of Legends, Starcraft, and I am most definitely getting Diablo 3. im in need of some expertise in that I can perform 3 of the above daily tasks the best I can within budget.

My current computer:
I have a 20” monitor acer, 1600 x 900
Old shuttle with amd 64 dual core 2.00ghz
Radeon x1600 pro video card
Old 320gb WD HDD
Cheap case with cheap psu 430W
IDE cd/dvd write combo
Windows 7

Keyboard and mouse
And speakers.

I am going to use the old computer as a HTPC so I need brand new parts everything!
I don’t need an OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers
Thanks again forums members ;D
February 9, 2011 7:31:21 PM

At that resolution my 600$ build in my siggy could run games and anything you'd like just fine. Most MMO's don't really use that much gpu power. SC2 is a different story, but if your referring to the first SC then it'll run just fine with the 6850/460 I list in my budget builds.
m
l
Anonymous
February 9, 2011 7:33:57 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: mid march
Budget Range: 600 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Home Office, Photo Editing, Gaming
Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: no Preference, but I do like that Antec 300 case
Overclocking: yes, but just to the degree where you don’t have to fiddle with the voltage
SLI or Crossfire: no
Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900
Additional Comments: Quiet, quiet, quiet

@aznshinobi: yes i was referring to SC2 sorry bout that
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2011 7:39:21 PM

Oh that changes everything yeah, the build in my 600$ budget will do all of those. The 925 isn't a bad chip, my 955 performs PS5 just fine. And pretty much a Home OFfice build is really easy to make.
m
l
Anonymous
February 9, 2011 7:40:07 PM

aznshinobi said:
At that resolution my 600$ build in my siggy could run games and anything you'd like just fine. Most MMO's don't really use that much gpu power. SC2 is a different story, but if your referring to the first SC then it'll run just fine with the 6850/460 I list in my budget builds.

@aznshinobi: i've seen your rig. how would it keep up with photoshop and lightroom?
m
l
February 9, 2011 7:49:26 PM

Well I use PS5 and do a lot of HDRs and minor retouching here and there on my Canon's RAW files. It edits/produces the images fairly fast and HDRs are not very slow and sluggish to load and batch process. I've used HDR Pro through PS5 on my 955 rig and HDR Pro through my schools Intel Dual core rigs, and the extra 2 cores on the 955 really speed up the batching and retouching process by a lot.

As for lightroom, I've never really use LR.
m
l
Anonymous
February 9, 2011 7:55:26 PM

aznshinobi said:
Well I use PS5 and do a lot of HDRs and minor retouching here and there on my Canon's RAW files. It edits/produces the images fairly fast and HDRs are not very slow and sluggish to load and batch process. I've used HDR Pro through PS5 on my 955 rig and HDR Pro through my schools Intel Dual core rigs, and the extra 2 cores on the 955 really speed up the batching and retouching process by a lot.

As for lightroom, I've never really use LR.

That doesnt seem too bad. i only ask because you put a lot of emphasis on Gaming with your site. I game a lot but the games i play don't really go to Crysis, Black Ops, intensive FPS's. i just wanna make sure that the video card isnt overkill.
m
l
February 9, 2011 7:59:17 PM

Oh yeah, don't worry that card isn't overkill at all.
m
l
Anonymous
February 14, 2011 2:40:17 PM

aznshinobi said:
Oh yeah, don't worry that card isn't overkill at all.

i got a new monitor now. Its a old Dell 2405FPW; native resolution is 1900x1200. Is that video card still good?
m
l
February 14, 2011 2:59:01 PM

For $600 one could actually land a full blooded Deneb BE +HD 6870 and crossfire capable actually

$587AR
m
l
February 14, 2011 11:20:57 PM

-_- Dang you butting in to my builds batuchka... Curse you, good suggestions though....
Yeah at 1900x1200, you probably want to go with something of the 6870's caliber. The 6950 1GB may also be an option, but a bit more expensive. Batchuka's build would work out just fine.
m
l
!