Need help in choosing a decent gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello, I'm looking for a decent video card to play several games.. some photoshop. i'm in asia, so prices and availability vary much. budget is around $140US.. tend to play games on high settings on a 18.5" wide lcd monitor, but i'm not a hardcore gamer. i'm not planning to upgrade in a year or two.. so i need something that will hold up.. :D :D
read thru several threads/forums and came down to several choices: a gts 250/hd 4770/hd5750..
here's my questions:

*based on the monitor size and resolution, can i play more than the native resolution of my monitor? ie 1600+ w/ high settings
*a 512mb card is a little cheaper, should i go for the 1gb card? <benefits?>
*if i go for the gts 250, which is better palit or inno3d (these are the brands available at our local comp store)?

one more thing, which one is better corsair xms3 or dominator (ddr3 1333 2x2gb) modules?

hd 5770 is far better than the choices, but don't plan on spending more than that, so pls don't suggest cards $160 and up.. :??: :??:

here's my set up..
phenom ii x2 555 be
msi 785g-e53
2gb 1333 ddr3 kingston value ram
generic 600w psu (comes w/ the cpu case) :p :p
<everything is on stock settings>

tnx..

Solution
@ trevor011:
1: No, the monitor will only display its native resolution or a lower one.
2: Unless you play with high levals of AA (Antialiasing) 512 Mb is enough for your monitor resolution so you will see no benefits from a 1Gb card.
3: Sorry mate, cannot help here; customer service and support vary and consumers have very different levals of legal protection depending on the country they live in. Check the warranty offered by each supplier and try posting a few questions on websties from your country to get more accurate information.

Have a read here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,review-32039.html

You should find the chart at the end very helpful.

Although it has similar...

mianmars

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
GPU: HD 5750 or either GTS 450. In most cases u wont even have the option to turn up the resolution more then the native and with the mentioned cards u will be able to play most games in medium settings at max 1680x1050px.

Ram: R u trying to add more ram to the same build which have kingston value ram?

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
actually, the 5770 (even the 1gb version) is beyond my budget... i've read thru several reviews.. 5770 really kicks ass.. unfortunately, a friend of mine suggest that the powercolor 4670 1gb pcs or 4770 512mb would be the perfect gpu for me...
comments?

@mianmars: im not planning to add more ram, im planning to replace current ram w/ a better one.. value rams are a little bit slower than the ones i've mentions.. ^^

current price for hd 57xx or 58xx + in my location is more than $160.. they perform great, but I don't have the finances to invest on those things....im looking for a more affodable one.. '

between gts 250 and hd 4770 (512mb each). w/c would you prefer.. ???

i like the 5770 or perhaps, 4870, but wife said, NO... she means DONT'T when she says'.. NO !!!!!

^^

tnx for the input guyz.

btw, no CF for my MB.. and tropic countries average around 24+ degrees.. so power and temp coule be a factor

@ trevor011:
1: No, the monitor will only display its native resolution or a lower one.
2: Unless you play with high levals of AA (Antialiasing) 512 Mb is enough for your monitor resolution so you will see no benefits from a 1Gb card.
3: Sorry mate, cannot help here; customer service and support vary and consumers have very different levals of legal protection depending on the country they live in. Check the warranty offered by each supplier and try posting a few questions on websties from your country to get more accurate information.

Have a read here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,review-32039.html

You should find the chart at the end very helpful.

Although it has similar performance, the GTS250 uses more power than the HD5750/GTS450 and some need two 6-pin PCI-E power leads, it can also run hot, so in your case, I would suggest you look to the HD5750 or GTS450 instead. I think you will find the HD5670 a little weak, it is OK for now, but it will not last as well as the HD5750 or GTS450.

Solution

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
tnx for the quick response.. i think i can add a few more bucks for the hd5750 512mb.. the 5770 lovely, but it's way beyond my budget.. will need to wait a little while, been browsing on some site's (something like ebay here in my country) and they're posting used gpu's for 20-30% off the original price.. average ownership is about 5-7 mo. would you recommend this?

he also mentioned that my mobo and cpu (msi 785g-e53/phenom ii x2 555) is better off with AMD than Nvidia cards... but i've read it through almost on all forums/thread.. both will work regardless of system ,am i right with this?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

As long as the seller has a good reputation you should be fine, make sure it's atleast 99% good reviews, if it's less than 98% don't buy.

Yes

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
tnx wiinippongamer... but I think i've just found the right one.. Inno3d GTX460 798mb 192bit.. it' a couple of $$ cheaper than the hd5770 1gb here on our local store..no idea how that happened though.. just lucky me.. i'll add a couple more for an LG 23" LED monitor 1920x1080.. ^^..

tnx. for the reply guys..

lol. the same thing happen at my place :D

Status
Not open for further replies.