UD7 x79 still good for Overclocking?

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I read so much about gigabyte x79 boards going up in smoke after small overclocks.

Is the UD7 still a good buy for X79 for say a 3930k / 4.8ghz 24/7 overclock?

Or will it go boom? Was the bios all that was wrong with board?

You would think with a 20-phase VRM it would be ok...

Thanks!

I've built four X79 rigs and all of them on the ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme. Tom's is getting ready to run an article on the updated lithography SB-E CPU's. See -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271382-29-tomshardware

The updated SB-E will be available to retailers January 20th. This hopefully will improve the often problematic SB-E OC'ing problems. We'll know soon.

The 4-WAY X79 MOBO's I'd consider: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, EVGA X79 Classified, or Gigabyte GA-X79-UD7. So far the 'bug' is limited to in particular non-ASUS X79 MOBOs.

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Ive already purchased my 3930k. Was hoping on upgrading to a 6-core Ivy-E later 2012.

So.. UD7 still is a good choice just update bios and leave C1, C2 and Turbo modes enabled. Plus put a fan over the VRM?

Or should I just wait for MSI's Big Bang PowerX2 with a 24-phase VRM..

Is this fan powerful enough for VRM air-cooling? Antec Spot Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209044

What air cooling fan do you recommend for UD7's VRM?

Thanks!

That Antec is silly, so no don't get it.

IMO get the ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme, it's immune from the bug. Also, if possible I would RMA the SB-E and wait for the new and fixed version.

Oddly, since the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD7 is listed as DEACTIVATED on NewEgg maybe it also had issues and was pulled. MSI definitely has the OC'ing BIOS bug so until I see otherwise I'm not recommending it either.

Trust me, the ASUS R4E is your best bet for an extreme LGA 2011 MOBO, edit - or any ASUS X79 maybe look at the ASUS P9X79 WS.

Warhog22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
humm so..

No one knows if UD7 is broken for overclocking still?

I just dont need all the functions of R4E. Just PCI slots and a decent VRM for overclocking.

I'd like to order the UD7 today, but i can't find an answer if its a solid overclocker or not.