Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2011 2:26:26 AM

I recently built my first computer.

i5 2500k
Hyper 212+
HAF X

CPU is at stock settings.
Ambient temp is about 24 C

My problem is that the temperatures are strange. CPU #2 at idle says it is ~12-15 degrees cooler than the other cores.

When I run Prime95 the difference decreases quite a bit. CPU #2 is still cooler but it stays within ~5-9 degrees of the others.

It was my first time installing TIM so I thought maybe I messed it up somehow. I cleaned everything and reseated the HSF and still the same thing except it's a bit cooler. The screen shots are from the 2nd time.

I realize a few degrees of variance is normal but this seems strange. I also checked the temps with a couple different programs just to be sure the program wasn't malfunctioning but they all show the same thing.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or if I should RMA.

More about : cpu temp issue

a b à CPUs
May 10, 2011 3:09:33 AM

The temp sensors internal to the CPU are not what you'd call sophisticated monitoring hardware. The temp is being mis-reported as I am sure your ambient room temperature is higher than 59F! Maybe you live in Alaska?
Unless the core is unduly burdened with work, you should expect all the cores to be running about the same temp. I typically see core 0 or 1 getting a bit warmer in single threaded workloads, but they should all be about the same.

I don't think I'd bother with RMA because CPU's or mobo or video cards are liable to report some strange temps from time to time. I had a hard drive for years that reported it was running at -40C. Considering all my other drives were reporting temps in the 30's, it was probably running about the same but I didn't lose any sleep over it.
m
l
May 10, 2011 7:45:26 AM

When applying TIM you only need a grain of rice sized amount. Place this in the middle of the CPU and then mount the cooler.

If you are going to do this again then buy some cleaner to remove the old stuff first from both CPU and heat-sink.

It is possible that you haven't got an even spread of TIM and 2 CPU's are not being cooled well enough.

To be honest if you get a max of 51 degrees then I wouldn't worry about it. Thats miles off the thermal cut out and you wont ever get there even if your room temp goes up by 15 degrees :D 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 10, 2011 6:08:08 PM

^ "grain of Rice" - that is for stock HSF and or most "flat" bottom Cu HSs. The method for the 212+ is different. There are some good viedo/links on this.

As buzznut stated, 14 C is being reported incorrect. Since there is not much concern for temps below 30C some software has a lower limit (Wild ass guess - just for example) say 20 C and the temp was really 19 C. the software would report it's rail number ie 14 C instead of 19C.

The important temps are at load. quite offten people post temps that show around 5 C delta between cores. - Three reasons (1) not all cores are identical and even when loaded to 100 %, there could be a diff. (2) could be a very slight diff in loading, but still show 100%. (3) most likely, slight difference in spread of HS thermo compound.
May 12, 2011 9:34:25 PM

Best answer selected by Rozbwen.
m
l
!