Cutting an Accelero S1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axolotl

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'm trying to put an Accelero S1 Rev2 on my 8800GTX, but it's too wide to fit in the case of my Dell XPS 420. I'm considering cutting about an inch off of it. The fins are no problem, but I'm curious about the copper tubes. They are sealed on both ends. Is there any liquid inside them? If not, I'll go ahead and do it. I'm not worried about the reduced surface area since I'm not gaming and rarely tax the card. Just looking for quiet. Anyone tried this before?

Solution
Yes. The tubes have liquid inside. Don't cut them! :) It is heat pipe system with circulating liquid inside and is the reason it cools so cool.
Are you crazy!!???! That card dumps out 139w stock let alone 189w max. That cooler is sh^t compared to what this card requires to just run. Get your self a higher end cooler instead of killing your card and trashing a cooler.

Double dosage of sodium fluoride.

Axolotl

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
My apologies to all who have replied. I didn't have the card in front of my when I made the original post. It is an 8800GT, not GTX.

Looks like you're right. I went back and read the Arctic Cooling website and it says. "The heatpipes with sintered powder wicks provide ultimate heat conductivity." I had to look up sintered wicks, but yeah, there's liquid in there. Too bad since I accidentally put a light fingerprint in the putty. No returning it now.

Anyone have suggestions for a quiet cooler for this card? It was always a little loud, but is worse now that the original PNY fan is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.