MCP61PM-GM compatible processors

Marzi

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Looking to finish upgrading my stock EMachines desktop. Since I bought it stock from Wal-Mart I've been upgrading it slowly. The last part to install that isn't stock is the processor. It's a 1.60GHz AMD Athlon II X2 250u. I've been looking around different sites but I haven't been able to find much help with finding a compatible processor. I'm currently running a MCP61PM-GM AM2 mATX Motherboard, and I have been having issues researching for a suitable processor. Any help?

Solution
I have found a topic on the same board over at pcworld.
Maybe this can help you a bit.

http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/80751-processor-upgrade-possible/
The only thing you can upgrade to is a faster Athlon II X2 or possibly a Phenom II X2.

You will need to contact Emachines to find out what you can use and what bios version you need to run it. If a bios update is required, you will need to update the bios before removing your old cpu.

You learned your lesson the hard way. Don't buy a pre-built.

Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to add, why bother?

He's looking to upgrade, not downgrade. lol

Marzi

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Yes I have been working on finding compatible CPUs for it, but when I found some yesterday before posting, I noticed that they weren't AM2 and were instead AM3. For instance I was thinking of getting this Regor CPU or any of the other 3 in the series, but I couldn't tell if AM3s worked in AM2 sockets. Which is to say, I either suck at researching, or the info I'm looking for just isn't catching my attention.

Marzi

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

Ah that's the thing. I don't like EMachines' support. Last time I went to them for an answer the bot I was talking to prolly couldn't tell the difference between anything.

Ah thank you for that link. I didn't know there was a program that'd let me check the CPU I was actively running. The program shows I'm using the exact same as him, which wasn't too much of a surprise because they seem to be the same model, and it says it's already a AM3 package, so I'll just go with what seems to be linear logic and go ahead and buy the CPU I was looking at.