Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help this girl out please I am confused!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 10, 2010 3:18:46 PM

Hello,I just bought this
Gateway 15.6" LCD Tri-Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD Laptop Computer with a ATI Radeon HD4250 Graphics with Microsoft DirectX 10

I have a sony vaio like 4 years old its hyper threading 3.2 ghz single core with 2 gb ram and ge force gt240.
I am not really having many issues with my desktop right now other than the processor , what do you think about this upgrade and is it better!!

and if its not can I upgrade the graphics card in this new laptop




more info about laptop:

Specs

The Key Specs

Model #:
NV53A62u
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor:
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core Processor N830 - 2.1GHz
Memory:
4096MB Dual-Channel DDR3
Hard Drive:
500GB SATA (5400RPM)
Optical Drive:
DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive (plays and records all standard DVD and CD formats)
Media Card Reader:
Multi-in-1 Digital Card Reader:
Secure Digital (SD) Card
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
xD-Picture Card (xD)
LCD Monitor:
15.6" HD WXGA Ultrabright LCD-backlit display
1366 x 768 resolution
16:9 aspect ratio

Additional Specs

Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD4250 Graphics with Microsoft DirectX 10 support
Video Memory:
Up to 256MB
System Bus:
1333MHz
Cache Memory:
1.5MB L2
Sound System:
2 built-in speakers with high-definition audio support
(1) Headphone/speaker jack, (1) Microphone-in Jack
Wireless Network Adapter:
802.11 b/g/n WI-FI Certified
Network Adapter:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Pointing Device:
Gateway EZ Pad touchpad
Ports:
(3) USB 2.0
(1) HDMI
(1) VGA Connector
(1) Kensington Lock Slot
(1) AC Adapter Connector
Battery:
6-cell Li-ion (4400 mAh)
Approx. 4 hours of battery life


More about : girl confused

a c 810 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 3:23:27 PM

i like the gt 240 better than the other card!
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 3:26:33 PM

yeah but its in a desktop and I just bought a laptop with this ati in it I am asking is this comp better than my old one.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 3:29:20 PM

You looking to upgrade both gpu's??

Can you give more info on you Desktop? At least the model #.

Laptops are not very upgradable. That is why it is so important to know what you plan on using it for.

What is your budget for a gpu for the desktop?
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 3:32:54 PM

The computer I have is a VGc-Rb50 Sony I upgraded the power supply to 750, ram to 2gig and the graphics to the ge force gt240.

its old technology and everyone says its more money to upgrade than buy I new one.
I got this laptop for 550.00 new and am I wondering about the graphics card will this be good for wow.
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 3:33:55 PM

I am using it for wow and just the normal facebook, email etc

Seemed to be a huge upgrade on the processor being a tri core and mines a single core!
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 3:50:31 PM

Embra said:
You looking to upgrade both gpu's??

Can you give more info on you Desktop? At least the model #.

Laptops are not very upgradable. That is why it is so important to know what you plan on using it for.

What is your budget for a gpu for the desktop?



The computer I have is a VGc-Rb50 Sony I upgraded the power supply to 750, ram to 2gig and the graphics to the ge force gt240. its old technology and everyone says its more money to upgrade than buy I new one.
I got this laptop for 550.00 new and am I wondering about the graphics card will this be good for wow


I am using it for wow and just the normal facebook, email etc

Seemed to be a huge upgrade on the processor being a tri core and mines a single core!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 4:05:29 PM

For WoW, I would have a hard time recommending upgrading your Desktop since you is a bit dated and will become a money pit. It is fine for internet and such.

Your laptop is fine, but it is not a gaming laptop. I think the integrated gpu will play WoW, but not at very high settings. Video cards that are not integrated into the motherboard are much better for any sort of gaming for many reasons.

Have you installed WoW on the laptop and tried playing it? If so, play with the settings.



m
0
l
December 10, 2010 4:28:17 PM

Can I upgrade the video card
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 4:46:30 PM

You can swap out the board and cpu alongside with the ram seeing that amazon has the machine listed as using DDR1. A new board and cpu with a cheap 2GB kit can easily upgrade your desktop for maybe $150 depending on what you get and ware you shop but it could run more. As for the laptop chances are that you wont be able to upgrade that but it will be enough to run wow depending on the res and settings but every one these days want 1080p on up.
m
0
l
December 10, 2010 6:26:42 PM

Lisa tx said:





more info about laptop:

Specs

The Key Specs

Model #:
NV53A62u
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor:
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core Processor N830 - 2.1GHz
Memory:
4096MB Dual-Channel DDR3
Hard Drive:
500GB SATA (5400RPM)
Optical Drive:
DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive (plays and records all standard DVD and CD formats)
Media Card Reader:
Multi-in-1 Digital Card Reader:
Secure Digital (SD) Card
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
xD-Picture Card (xD)
LCD Monitor:
15.6" HD WXGA Ultrabright LCD-backlit display
1366 x 768 resolution
16:9 aspect ratio

Additional Specs

Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD4250 Graphics with Microsoft DirectX 10 support
Video Memory:
Up to 256MB
System Bus:
1333MHz
Cache Memory:
1.5MB L2
Sound System:
2 built-in speakers with high-definition audio support
(1) Headphone/speaker jack, (1) Microphone-in Jack
Wireless Network Adapter:
802.11 b/g/n WI-FI Certified
Network Adapter:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Pointing Device:
Gateway EZ Pad touchpad
Ports:
(3) USB 2.0
(1) HDMI
(1) VGA Connector
(1) Kensington Lock Slot
(1) AC Adapter Connector
Battery:
6-cell Li-ion (4400 mAh)
Approx. 4 hours of battery life



anything except that 4250 are acceptable. however do you plan to use that laptop to replace the desktop you had? frankly many people seem don't get it that laptop is only "use" out door environment or emergency . putting laptop to use as desktop will be the most stupidest thing ever. even playing facebook's farmville will cause mobile processor overheat over time if you use too long due to the poor thermal cooling on the laptop. other like battery life span and stability will be concern too.

it's good to have a new laptop, but if you plan to "upgrade" i would suggest you get another desktop if you want to put it in heavy use.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 6:43:29 PM

+1

And don't forget

m
0
l
a c 810 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 7:01:59 PM

stick with the laptop for wow
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 7:41:25 PM

The laptop will likely play WoW better simply because it has a better CPU in it. LOL Though the desktop has the better graphics card.

As for upgrading graphics in the laptop - No you can't. That's the real simple answer.

If you play on the laptop, keep your graphic settings down (shadows off will help a bunch). The new WoW is a bit more demanding.
m
0
l
a c 810 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 8:52:37 PM

like he said above keep the graphics settings on wow at good not any higher!
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 10, 2010 9:08:42 PM

Basically you have 2 machines;
Laptop: Decent processor, weak graphics
Desktop: Ok graphics, terrible processor
The laptop can't really be upgraded but the desktop can be. Unfortunately to upgrade the processor you will also need to replace the motherboard and ram. It doesn't have to cost too much though. $125 could get it done and give you a respectable processor with room to upgrade later if you want to.
m
0
l
December 11, 2010 1:11:21 AM

My opinion on this isn't going to be the popular one. But here is what I think.

If you already bought the laptop then simply just use it. The CPU on your desktop
is going to be a bottleneck to that GPU for sure and sinking any more money
into it would be pointless you may as well just build or buy a new desktop than upgrade at this point.

If the most taxing thing you do is play WoW I am sure the laptop will handle that task just fine.
m
0
l
December 11, 2010 1:17:37 AM

just build a nice gaming rig and just get a cheap laptop......

but of cause most of female just don't understand why laptop can be so limited...beside using laptop as desktop is just wrong...

m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 1:21:22 AM

cheesesubs said:
just build a nice gaming rig and just get a cheap laptop......

but of cause most of female just don't understand why laptop can be so limited...beside using laptop as desktop is just wrong...


m
0
l
December 11, 2010 4:33:47 AM

The boys in here all ran to this thread coz its a chic. . . Real Smooth lads :D 
m
0
l
a c 810 U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 12:40:30 PM

just because they stated they were female,it might not be true!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 2:39:34 PM

Remember, 70-80% of female toons in WoW are played by men in their late 40's. :) 

The other 10-20% are played by men in their 20's and 30's.

There is also a sliver not shown on the graph which represents actual women.
m
0
l
a c 810 U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 5:01:28 PM

i agree with jerreece!
m
0
l
December 13, 2010 6:35:51 PM

Well I am definetly not a guy and thanks for all the input.
Kinda confused but hey I think I get it!!!

Keep the laptop try it on med settings and it should work fine, due to the cpu.
Look into getting a desktop thats a pimp and play on it?

I have been playing wow since beta.
m
0
l
!