Host 193 is out

Last response: in Video Games
April 15, 2005 11:43:20 AM

Host 193 is out it is up on the www.vgaplanets.com web site and the web
site lists the changes that have taken place since revision 189.

Some of the changes and tests that were in host 190 and 192 did not
survive to host 193.

Tim

More about : host 193

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:56:17 PM

Is everything listed there?

Given the controversy, I can understand if the more extreme Robot
changes were removed, like free fighters and the Golem network. But
others seemed very popular... where did they go?

Fed Agros making cash

COM increased growth rate on ships

decrease in contraband market

decreased Solorian growth rate

removal of Avoid Base (or is that part of "combat logic improved"?)

Scytale
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:13:11 PM

Thanks Tim.

Take care buddy,

Mike (febemike)

cocomax wrote:
> Host 193 is out it is up on the www.vgaplanets.com web site and the
web
> site lists the changes that have taken place since revision 189.
>
> Some of the changes and tests that were in host 190 and 192 did not
> survive to host 193.
>
> Tim
April 15, 2005 2:14:12 PM

This makes bots very strong indeed... I had trouble with Xtals against
them already. Now I'm dead. They can lay so many cloaked barbitics and
I cannot sweep them with my destabilizers anymore. They can then just
activate one every turn, forever. Great:p
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:21:42 PM

Can I now try to sweep cloaked novabarbs with 25% chance?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:37:01 PM

Makes them as strong as any with barb minefields. Like others cant
already do it.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:43:47 PM

Regular barbitics are joke when compared to novas;)
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:21:31 PM

I checked, the Golem Network and free fighters for bots are gone.

Too, bad about the Golem Network, although it could have used a bit of
tweeking, I think it was one of the most innovative ideas from you in a
long while - Nicely reflecting the new series, too. Well done, (even
if you decided to remove it).

Skies
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:52:38 PM

I can't say the wigns act anywhere near the way I would expect them to.
Maybe I'm using the wrong settings, but I did try a few. Best results I
get is by leaving the settings untouched. I'm using scripts. In one
case I even managed accidentally to "lock" wings on high orbit for the
entire battle, they didn't perform a single attack run. =)

Tim, if you are reading this, shouldn't ALL the wings (at least by
certain setting) be given the same ship ID as an attack target in VCR?
Maybe this is happening to Gabor already. =)

Would look something like this: After a recharge phase the wing
receives a ship ID for attack target from the VCR program, then a
(direct) route is plotted to the ship. Bang-bang! After attack run
the target ID would be cleared, at which point the wing recharges at
the safes place, and tried to stay away from enemy ships/wigns) - after
recharge is complete, the wing would then be assinged a new target ID.
The VCR would just keep track which ID is the 'deadliest ship, softest
ship, the wing to attack etc. I guess what I'm looking here is
concentrated firepower.

Another thing I'd like to see would be escorting ships staying with the
escort target. (would make sense) but this has come up several times.

Then I would be happy forever.

Skies
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:02:48 PM

Im hoping hes just not done with it, maybe free fighters are still a
consideration also. One thing Im fairly sure of, is that if nothing
further happens the bots are a ship race now. Fighters wont pay vs
sand casters now, even after the ET is purchased. I was told the
result of a few sims and its gonna be horrible. Figter swarms, the
cheap fighters, forget about it.

The Golem network, its possible he couldnt get it to work easily and so
much changed otherwise. Why not go at it in stages. Maybe in another
host. Also anyone else notice the qtanker jamming thing. I hear its
not workin. Havnt scripted yet for myself.

Tim could just make their ships hard to board and be done with it.
With the jammer field the bots could seriously threaten opponents with
tons of excellent armed ships, by forgoing any money spent on relativly
expensive GZ, and fighters. Instrumentality is way too easily taken to
be armed too expensivly, unless the get 7000 high guards for each one
from somewhere.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:05:14 PM

What controversy, like the one over cloaked super weapons or stellar
matter launchers or something?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:03:23 PM

No more free Bot fighter?

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1113576199.996706.119600@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Host 193 is out it is up on the www.vgaplanets.com web site and the web
> site lists the changes that have taken place since revision 189.
>
> Some of the changes and tests that were in host 190 and 192 did not
> survive to host 193.
>
> Tim

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:12:06 PM

Combat looks quiet well again. And my Hades or Inamoratas can take out Cubes at same costs again. Also do my Rebel micro wings
but funny is that strike through now is pretty deadly for my wings where they win with attack dangerous first and stay at point
blank. Also now it is directly visible (at least with swarms) how wings and ship swarms go for the big ships and once they have
destroyed one they immediately go for the next biggest dreaghtnought. With this I can live, Tim. Well done (for the first ;)  ).

Now the question is, what's about the other things: CB, free Bot fighters and so on. Are the things you mentioned on your site
with this release the onliest changes or did you forget to mention something which could be of any interest for us players?

GFM GToeroe

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1113576199.996706.119600@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Host 193 is out it is up on the www.vgaplanets.com web site and the web
> site lists the changes that have taken place since revision 189.
>
> Some of the changes and tests that were in host 190 and 192 did not
> survive to host 193.
>
> Tim

April 15, 2005 11:18:11 PM

One, ill winds don't carry enough ord to matter for long vcrs ie more
then 1. Two, 100,000mc type 1 robot fighters is 20,000 fighters. So I
would expect them to to do something. Lets get more down to earth try a
dark wing with turbos or mirc missiles and 3 sand casters vs 10k of
robot fighters. Then give the fighters sand shields and try it again.
Cost wise the dark wing without a super weapon wins every time.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:27:34 PM

My test was with 12 ILL Winds with MM PD systems and Sand Casters.

VS

80 wings of 250 Type 1 Robot fighters

No Exotic Techs used.
No switches flipped, all defaults used

Host version 193

Tim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:32:40 PM

Try it with sabers. 20000 are gone, with sand shields. Ten sabers
total cost was 46000ish. Its a joke, why didnt you use a ship that
cost less and carried more than 600 ord?

nospam wrote:
> ron_nac@yahoo.com schrieb:
> > Im hoping hes just not done with it, maybe free fighters are still
> > consideration also. One thing Im fairly sure of, is that if
nothing
> > further happens the bots are a ship race now. Fighters wont pay vs
> > sand casters now, even after the ET is purchased. I was told the
> > result of a few sims and its gonna be horrible. Figter swarms, the
> > cheap fighters, forget about it.
>
> Don't know how you test it, but Tim write others in his posting about

> Fighters: "The tests that I have been running are showing things like

> 100,000mc work of Type 1 Robot fighters blowing away 85,000mc worth
of
> Ill Winds all armed with sand casters."
>
> Don't know who is right, you with your sims or Tim with his test. Or
> maybe you have different interpretations about what is good or
horrible.

> So how have you tested it (equipment, ET, size of wings .., attack
> settings) and how was the excact result. Without that something like
the
> above about fighters from you are nearly rumors for me special if
there
> others post the opposite.
>
> Maybe this community should think about some "standard test
scenarios"
> which will then be used for further testings.
>
> Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:52:23 PM

using wings of 250, youd need 60 to take on 10 sabers armed with TL and
Sand caster. You win both ways with and without the ET flipped on.
The robots lose 43 wings without the shield and 27 with it on. Total
minimum cost to engage this force and win is 75000 for bots. The
stormer cost is 46000ish. Theyll keep the messed up ships if they win.
The bots lose 53,750 when they win or 33,750 with shields. The sand
shielding saves em money. 75000 is better spent on ships, unless the
situation makes it inadvisable not to (it could happen).
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:59:32 PM

I tried a Dark Wing against 80 wings of 250 Type 1 robot fighters.

67 wings survived and the Dark Wing with all turbos and 3 sand casters
died. Cost wise I took out a 21,000mc ship with a loss of 16,000mc
worth of fighters. That is pure money taking out something built out
of metals.

---

The Dark Wing beats 40 wings of 250 Type 1 robot fighters. Cost wise
that is a ship taking no damage at all destroying 50,000mc of fighters.

Tim
April 16, 2005 12:45:18 AM

Once again you are forced to send 100,000mc ie 80 wings of 250 type 1
fighters vs 21,000mc ship. As for metals you fixed the birds, when you
gave them super weapons laser and proto matter. You fry a few planets
put them back together and metals rolls in. Oh one last thing 20,000k
worth of fighters is a nightmare to build and put together, I know as a
fan of the EE I did it all the time, and I owned ships with fighter
facts too. So well you are building 100k worth of fighters the birds
are building a 100k worth of ships. How well did 2 darkwings do vs 100k
of fighters or better yet lets put on 5 or 10 sand casters on 1 dark
wing and lets buy pd boost the first shield boost and maybe the first
to hit bonus. With fine tuning I can get a cost effective fleet vs 100k
of type 1 fighters. That in the end is the down side of fighters they
are what they are, with ships I can very weapons and pd and exotics to
come up with a fleet that cost dirt to build and wins vs 100k of
fighters. The only thing you can do with fighters is sand shield and
numbers. Maybe you should put in some exotics that increas the armor,
to hit bonus and defense bonus of fighters. That might spice the
fighters up enough, but in the end the cheap bot fighter "which for
some reason you love" are not as cost effective now that sand shields
aren't 100%. Unless they are free!!!
April 16, 2005 1:03:54 AM

The funny thing about 80 wings of 250 type 1 bot fighters and what
makes it the biggest joke of them all. Is the question no one asks. I
can guess close to the mark when a bird will have or should have
darkwings note the (s) in darkwing. But how long does it take for the
bots to have 10k of type 1 fighters let alone 20k, let alone multi wing
fleets of 20k of fighters to kill the these 21,000cr each orth of
ships? How much did the bot player give up in ships and mines and gun
zeros, for these free floating wings adding up to 20k type 1 fighters?
I thought so, how sad.
April 16, 2005 1:28:09 AM

That's true, but here is the deal if the bot player is stupid enough to
build only fighters, 100k is a major investment, why not build cheap
ass ships that have one purpose to kill fighters. So if you only build
one kind of expensive ship that's on you. I tend to build a fleet based
on what I fight and to turn it out as cheap as I can. That's what sim
and script is for. As for crew and troops killed in battles, that comes
with the game. As for metals and fuel, once you shake and bake a few
planets they are no longer a problem.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:23:44 AM

I'm currently playing birdmen. My Darkwings cost between 35,000 to
50,000 depending on fitout.
April 16, 2005 5:31:05 AM

A few questions:

>New: All races can sweep cloaked mines with a 25% success rate
Is that true for all mines (which had 100% success9 or only barbs and
Novas (having had 0%)? I hope it is only for the barbs, as otherwise
e.g. Xtal become a powerhouse!

>Changed: Robot mine sweeping of cloaked mines only works 25% of the
time instead of 100% of the time.
Similiar question as above: Which type of mines? Do Bots have more
difficulties sweeping cloaked mines than other races - assuming they
got a mine sweeper?

>Changed: Energized sand toned down. it does not work 100% of the time
anymore
Is the SC immunity now back to 100% or is that also sometimes failing?
Both changes should go hand in hand!

>Changed: Minefield power increased, they do more damage when you hit
them
Any details how much more damage?

>Changed: Spice production reduced
What is the new formula?

>New: Colonists on Colony of Man ships produce an income of 200mc per
100000 colonists.
Twice as good as a city, no negative growth impact and also no food
used. Do the CoM need an improvement in economy?
April 16, 2005 6:03:08 AM

It is twice as good as a city, but not better then 1 mil colonist on a
base under a celestia. On a planet with 10 cities and a celestia the 1
mil colonist make 3240 + tax and have a growth rate between .068 and
..071 with happy over 85 on the ship its only city +improvement + tax
with a growth rate of .06. It makes the Com more efficent ie they still
grow better on the ground and make more money on the ground. So when
you need to move colonist around you lose less money and growth. That's
it. It's impact happens early in the game before you can build
celestias and late in the game when it takes more then 1 turn to set up
a base of 1milion colonists with a celestia and 10 cities. Not as much
as I would like, but I do like the fact that the loss is so much less
if you need to keep colonist on ships. As for food, it does help with
that if you'r willing to take the money and growth loss.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:09:29 AM

ron_nac@yahoo.com schrieb:
> Im hoping hes just not done with it, maybe free fighters are still a
> consideration also. One thing Im fairly sure of, is that if nothing
> further happens the bots are a ship race now. Fighters wont pay vs
> sand casters now, even after the ET is purchased. I was told the
> result of a few sims and its gonna be horrible. Figter swarms, the
> cheap fighters, forget about it.

Don't know how you test it, but Tim write others in his posting about
Fighters: "The tests that I have been running are showing things like
100,000mc work of Type 1 Robot fighters blowing away 85,000mc worth of
Ill Winds all armed with sand casters."

Don't know who is right, you with your sims or Tim with his test. Or
maybe you have different interpretations about what is good or horrible.

So how have you tested it (equipment, ET, size of wings .., attack
settings) and how was the excact result. Without that something like the
above about fighters from you are nearly rumors for me special if there
others post the opposite.

Maybe this community should think about some "standard test scenarios"
which will then be used for further testings.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:48:08 AM

redherring schrieb:
> One, ill winds don't carry enough ord to matter for long vcrs ie more
> then 1. Two, 100,000mc type 1 robot fighters is 20,000 fighters. So I
> would expect them to to do something. Lets get more down to earth try a
> dark wing with turbos or mirc missiles and 3 sand casters vs 10k of
> robot fighters. Then give the fighters sand shields and try it again.
> Cost wise the dark wing without a super weapon wins every time.

I don't try it cause I don't made the test.
If you look at Tim's 2 postings here in the thread you see the result
with a Darkwing. He wrote 80 wings win and 40 lost. maybe in your test
some wings more and the fighters had won.
That's one of the reasons why I suggest to creat a "standard test scenarios"

Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:48:12 AM

I haven't try it. You must say it to Tim he has tested it. To the test
see Tim's 2 posting in this thread too.

I never simmed a battle. I try them in real games and they get won or
not and I try to learn from the results.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

ron_nac@yahoo.com schrieb:
> Try it with sabers. 20000 are gone, with sand shields. Ten sabers
> total cost was 46000ish. Its a joke, why didnt you use a ship that
> cost less and carried more than 600 ord?
>
> nospam wrote:
>
>>ron_nac@yahoo.com schrieb:
>>
>>>Im hoping hes just not done with it, maybe free fighters are still

>>>consideration also. One thing Im fairly sure of, is that if
>
> nothing
>
>>>further happens the bots are a ship race now. Fighters wont pay vs
>>>sand casters now, even after the ET is purchased. I was told the
>>>result of a few sims and its gonna be horrible. Figter swarms, the
>>>cheap fighters, forget about it.
>>
>>Don't know how you test it, but Tim write others in his posting about
>

>>Fighters: "The tests that I have been running are showing things like
>

>>100,000mc work of Type 1 Robot fighters blowing away 85,000mc worth
>
> of
>
>>Ill Winds all armed with sand casters."
>>
>>Don't know who is right, you with your sims or Tim with his test. Or
>>maybe you have different interpretations about what is good or
>
> horrible.
>
>>So how have you tested it (equipment, ET, size of wings .., attack
>>settings) and how was the excact result. Without that something like
>
> the
>
>>above about fighters from you are nearly rumors for me special if
>
> there
>
>>others post the opposite.
>>
>>Maybe this community should think about some "standard test
>
> scenarios"
>
>>which will then be used for further testings.
>>
>> Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:03:07 AM

cocomax schrieb:
> I tried a Dark Wing against 80 wings of 250 Type 1 robot fighters.
>
> 67 wings survived and the Dark Wing with all turbos and 3 sand casters
> died. Cost wise I took out a 21,000mc ship with a loss of 16,000mc
> worth of fighters. That is pure money taking out something built out
> of metals.
>
> ---
>
> The Dark Wing beats 40 wings of 250 Type 1 robot fighters. Cost wise
> that is a ship taking no damage at all destroying 50,000mc of fighters.
>

> Tim

Tim, in real games the DW is more worth then 21.000 MC.
If I build one, he get FTL-5 or Transwarps, other LWs used are PPC or
better (and more costly then), 25 Small weapons, some Intercepts against
incoming ship fire and MMLs and most of my DWs get a Super Weapon. Think
I come to more then 21K MC. If I remember right in the pasts my DWs
costs more then 50K MCs tell me the Quickbuild sceen.

And a wing use only 1 HG, but a DW have the crew and other guest like
HGs, Troops or colos. Except the HGs all others are lost too. And the
amount of metal and fuel which are lost. Each KT metal can be compared
with 3 or 4 sups (not sure) and 1 sup cost 1 MC. They are lost too.

So using 80 wings a 250 fighter seems me okay and if all Fighters are
lost and the DW is destroyed it seems me a good trade for the Robo.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:11:10 PM

redherring schrieb:
> That's true, but here is the deal if the bot player is stupid enough to
> build only fighters, 100k is a major investment, why not build cheap
> ass ships that have one purpose to kill fighters. So if you only build
> one kind of expensive ship that's on you. I tend to build a fleet based
> on what I fight and to turn it out as cheap as I can. That's what sim
> and script is for. As for crew and troops killed in battles, that comes
> with the game. As for metals and fuel, once you shake and bake a few
> planets they are no longer a problem.

How many races can "shake and bake a few planets" on their own ? I know
only 1 race from the whole game. And if they do the planet are destroyed
quickly again by stress. So that's no argument in my eyes cause only 1
race can do it and what shall the other races do ????

Bye-Bye JoSch.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:05:43 AM

The swarm behavior deserves a little improvement.

While with many wings one is able to observed significantly changes of the movement behavior due to different switches and while
one is able to see how wings go straight ahead for the most dangerous ships (which is defined via the weapons - tested with armed
and unarmed OFF-Worlds at the same time against Jedi Micros) I'm not able to see that the the swarm ships go for the most
dangerous ships and also the changes in the fly behavior vary from diffuse to unobservable.

BTW: I think the reason why one can hardly discover significant behavior with a few objects is that the behavior seems to be
binded with some random flavour to the combat switches. So first with a largeer number of objects different combat styles become
more and more visible.

GFM GToeroe

"cocomax" <cocomax@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1113576199.996706.119600@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Host 193 is out it is up on the www.vgaplanets.com web site and the web
> site lists the changes that have taken place since revision 189.
>
> Some of the changes and tests that were in host 190 and 192 did not
> survive to host 193.
>
> Tim

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:32:09 AM

redherring <redherring25@aol.com> writes

>One, ill winds don't carry enough ord to matter for long vcrs

Ill Winds use less ord than they ought to. Special power? It was first
noticed when they got their supercharged weaponry power.
--
Paul Honigmann
Anonymous

Skies wrote:
> I checked, the Golem Network and free fighters for bots are gone.
>
> Too, bad about the Golem Network, although it could have used a bit of
> tweeking, I think it was one of the most innovative ideas from you in a
> long while - Nicely reflecting the new series, too. Well done, (even
> if you decided to remove it).

I agree. Those new Cylon fighters are so very neat. But VGAP4 has just
so much complexity to debug just yet. Maybe next year, on Cobol.
!