selonimes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I was looking at my screen yesterday and noticed that it was not truly sitting at the 1920x1080, in fact there is about a half an inch of black around the whole outside.

When I was thinking back and or changed my Resolution size down, it fit the whole screen, so I know its not the screen. I assume it has to do with the video card somehow.

When I was running a Heaven benchmark I noticed the screen resolution was not a true 1920...I think it said something like 1917x1053 or something weird like that.

When I change the picture size to wide fit, it stretches the screen all the way where it needs to be, of course at that point I can't see the desktop.

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot back to get it the right way?

Thanks for the help in advance. I probably just toggled something along the way but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Windows 7
MSI Hawk 5770 1GB

Forgot to add...it is a Samsung P2770HD LCD I am using the HDMI from the MSI Hawk to the HDMI in on the LCD.

OK, silly question maybe, are you sure you are not looking at the bezel as the black area? That monitor does have the resolution you are using, and if Windows is setup for that, I don't see why it would not fill the entire screen.

The display should have come with a disk that would have some setup files. See if installing them will help, maybe update the drivers on the video card also. I don't see a driver download for the monitor, but maybe the color and size profile is on a CD in the packaging. It's usually a .ini and I think a .inf or .ing or something. Don't remember what the color profile files are called.

selonimes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I did some poking around I think perhaps that this is more video card related.

I was checking out settings in the ATI CCC and I noticed a scaling alteration there. By toggling the setting I was able to fill the screen.

The question though now becomes why do I need to do that when both the LCD and GPU support 1920x1080.

I am sure there is some sort of setting I am missing but I am not sure where to start in the troubleshooting.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What you are seeing is a common issue with ATI's Catalyst and HDTVs. I agree that it makes no sense and is a pain.

The issue is probably related to how different HDTV manufacturers implement resolutions standards differently. Whereas, monitors have the ability to report settings to your GPU automatically (HDTVs can, but it is different) and standards are more widely implemented in a common fashion.

selonimes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
That is what I had to do, however I didnt uncheck, I actually changed the scaling to match the screen, although it is not really perfect yet I dont think.

Is there a way to toggle the imagine scaling off in CCC? Thanks for the help!