Lowering Northbridge Temps- MSI NF750-G55

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I've been tinkering with an overclock on my CPU and since I'm about to order a new CPU fan/heatsink, I wanted to address this as well.

In CPUID HW Monitor, my TMPIN2 runs at a very consistent 92*C and always has (for over 2 years now). I believe, from what I've read, this is most likely the northbridge temp. Even if that's supposed to be okay for this motherboard, I'd like to go ahead and bring that temp down as well while I'm ordering parts. What would be a good heatsink to replace the factory one for my northbridge? I'm probably going with a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 CPU cooler.

And I'm linking a picture here just so that I'm 100% certain...the northbridge heatsink in the picture below is the one that says "AM3 READY", right? That's the one I'd be replacing?
http://www.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures1_20100412135645.jpg

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
At constant 92 c I am betting the sensor is bad. You rig not not be able to maintain constant temps at 92c and still be operational. It would be very unstable.

The heatsink with "MSI" on is the north-bridge/chipset. The one you are looking it is the MOSFET section of the board and there's not much you should be doing with that. They include voltage regulators (VRM's) and other electricals needed for the proc. and chipset.

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Interesting, thanks for the info! You're probably right, but if that sensor is bad, I even more certainly would like to put a better heatsink on it to try and ensure that it's running at a safe temp. Will essentially any aftermarket one with decent ratings, that's set up for AM3, work for me?

Yup, the NB is under the MSI labeled heatsink.
A good cooler for that would be like this
http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews2/extreme-spirit.html
or
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=133
Or
35-116-018-03339.jpg

ZM-NBF47_m.jpg

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks Alyoshka! Just an update- I've seen temps anywhere from 87*C to 101*C registered here (TMPIN3). I guess it could still be a bad sensor registering unusually high temps, but I still plan on ordering the heatsink for it to see if it helps just to be safe. I do wish newegg carried that Zalman unit but they don't appear to.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
To determine if the northebridge is, in fact, HOT, you can tap it with your finger. Try the first knuckle on your finger and see if it is REALLY hot. Note that I say tap. do NOT hold your finger on it, if it IS that hot, it WILL hurt.

Also, what you may try is reapplying thermalpaste to the chipset. Remove the current heatsink, clean it off as you would a processor and heatsink (paper towel and rubbing alcohol, 91%) and reseat the heatsink. If the temps lower, or at least change, then you know there probably is a heat issue with the chipset. If it stays about the same, you're wasting money on a new chipset cooler because the chipset is probably not running hot enough to merit that drastic of change. I have, however, installed new chipset coolers on some of my machines that are overclocked so it is a definite option and possibility that it's running too warm, just not a hugely common issue.