Sign in with
Your question

Recovering RAID data after MOBO failure

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2012 8:33:33 PM

Dear Community,

HELP! My Gigabyte Mobo has stopped working....I had 2 HD on a RAID 1 configuration running with the RAID utility of the chipset. If the motherboard is totally dead and gone, is there anyway i can recover this data with another motherboard or perhaps some type of software using another computer? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
January 12, 2012 10:10:11 PM

soooooooooooooo, you had these in raid 1, which is copying evey transaction from the main drive to a second drive. so im pretty sure you can plug that sucker straight into any system and get your data. you could even do it twice, as both drives contain the same info.
January 12, 2012 11:42:42 PM

if you had an AMD chipset motherboard, getting another AMD chipset motherboard will allow you to recover. Same for Intel. I have migrated ARRAY (RAID0) created on AMD chipset from 770 (sb710) up tpo 870(SB850) without any problem. As long as you use the same controller type.
Related resources
January 12, 2012 11:50:41 PM

guavasauce said:
soooooooooooooo, you had these in raid 1, which is copying evey transaction from the main drive to a second drive. so im pretty sure you can plug that sucker straight into any system and get your data. you could even do it twice, as both drives contain the same info.

Not necessarly. A RAID controller has to write some data (RAID metadata) to the HDD in order to knw what drive is what in the array. Those metadata, as well as the bootloader( small sector to allow the controller to be configured with the right type of array BEFORE the OS start to load. All that can cause confusion for non RAID and other RAID type controller.

You can tried it, as you can recover from the mirror if something bad happen to the drive, but be sure to set your controller to AHCI first, as it will be more compatible with RAID.
January 14, 2012 12:07:51 PM

Thanks guys, it was an AMD chipset and the controlle was a "SATA RAID". So if i just buy another Gigabyte motherboard with the same chipset and put the drives in there and set them to the same type of RAID array i should be able to recover it? Or should i set the controller to AHCI?

I greatly appreciate it!
January 14, 2012 12:23:53 PM

Yes, any AMD chipset will alow you to recover. I migrated the same array from an ECS 770 to a Biostar 790 to an Asus 770 then to a Gigabyte 870. Sure, Windows complained a bit, and sometime had trouble to start, but the array was always recognized.

Just make sure it was on the AMD chipset controller, and not a third party controller, like Marvel, or Promise... In this case, you'll need the same controller brand.
!