Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I need a crossfire motherboard!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2012 9:31:52 PM

Hello!

Im in the process of purchasing parts for a custom gaming computer. After making a list and finding out what would work, I realized the motherboard I had originally chosen may not be right for what I'm wanting to do. Originally I had chosen the ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard because it of its ddr3, Phenom II capability, and crossfire abilities. After researching crossfire a bit, I realized x16 x4 crossfire is worse than the x8 x8 crossfire. I'm planning on doing crossfire with a couple of Radeon HD 6870's, so seeing as the board I had originally chosen only supports x16 x4, I've decided to switch boards. I'm looking for a board compatible with DDR3 RAM, at least 2 (x16 x16) PCI-E 2.0 slots, and compatible with an AMD Phenom II x6 Thuban (1075t). Also SATA II capable ports are needed. As close as you can get to the $60 of the old board, the better. I'm pretty new to this, so please forgive any lack of knowledge on my side..

Anyways, big thanks ahead of time!

-Zane

More about : crossfire motherboard

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 11:25:39 PM

You would be looking for a board with x16 and x8 for crossfire. Also, the $60 won't happen. Decide whther you want a gaming machine or a budget machine; crossfire is probably not going to benefit you if you are looking in the <$90 board range. Better off buying one GOOD GPU, a solid board, and decent proc.

Just my thoughts. I'm an Intel and nVidia user though so what do I know...

Take a look at machines posted on here under budget gaming builds and see if one of those can suit your taste.
a c 125 V Motherboard
January 12, 2012 11:37:44 PM

yeah, you price expectation is too low. To get x16 x16 performance, you are looking at a 150 board. x16 x8 performance can be gotten in a 120 board.

The least expensive dual x16 board that I can recommend is this for 149:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
Related resources
January 12, 2012 11:50:22 PM

Yeah, I just realized that. Sorry about that. You guys were right though, thanks for helping me out. It was my bad not specifying x8 x8 was actually what I was looking for. So sorry :p  . Thanks for the replies!
Score
January 12, 2012 11:55:02 PM

Best answer selected by zaneb.
Score
!