Closed Solved

I need a crossfire motherboard!

Hello!

Im in the process of purchasing parts for a custom gaming computer. After making a list and finding out what would work, I realized the motherboard I had originally chosen may not be right for what I'm wanting to do. Originally I had chosen the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176" rel="nofollow">ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard because it of its ddr3, Phenom II capability, and crossfire abilities. After researching crossfire a bit, I realized x16 x4 crossfire is worse than the x8 x8 crossfire. I'm planning on doing crossfire with a couple of Radeon HD 6870's, so seeing as the board I had originally chosen only supports x16 x4, I've decided to switch boards. I'm looking for a board compatible with DDR3 RAM, at least 2 (x16 x16) PCI-E 2.0 slots, and compatible with an AMD Phenom II x6 Thuban (1075t). Also SATA II capable ports are needed. As close as you can get to the $60 of the old board, the better. I'm pretty new to this, so please forgive any lack of knowledge on my side..

Anyways, big thanks ahead of time!

-Zane
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire motherboard
  1. Best answer
    You would be looking for a board with x16 and x8 for crossfire. Also, the $60 won't happen. Decide whther you want a gaming machine or a budget machine; crossfire is probably not going to benefit you if you are looking in the <$90 board range. Better off buying one GOOD GPU, a solid board, and decent proc.

Just my thoughts. I'm an Intel and nVidia user though so what do I know...

Take a look at machines posted on here under budget gaming builds and see if one of those can suit your taste.
  2. yeah, you price expectation is too low. To get x16 x16 performance, you are looking at a 150 board. x16 x8 performance can be gotten in a 120 board.

The least expensive dual x16 board that I can recommend is this for 149:
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
  3. thanks for the replies. Under normal circumstances I would agree, but what about this?

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, eSATA, GbLAN & RAID
  4. zaneb said:
    thanks for the replies. Under normal circumstances I would agree, but what about this?

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, eSATA, GbLAN & RAID

That board runs dual cards at dual x8, not dual x16. Read the specs more carefully. See my post again. I recommended a good board for you.
  5. Yeah, I just realized that. Sorry about that. You guys were right though, thanks for helping me out. It was my bad not specifying x8 x8 was actually what I was looking for. So sorry :P . Thanks for the replies!
  6. Best answer selected by zaneb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Crossfire Product