Pipeline help please

jay2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Can someone please help me, next week I'm going to quit this module.

3 Pipelining:

a) Consider a multi-cycle MIPS architecture. Assume there are 4 types of instructions supported by the architecture:
L-type (5 cycles), S-type (4 cycles), R-type (2 cycles), B-type (3 cycles)

If a program with 100 instructions containing different types in following ratio:
L-type (15), S-type (25), R-type (50), B-type (10).

i) Calculate the average instruction execution time in CPI (cycle per instruction) on an unpipelined processor; (8 marks)

ii) Calculate the average instruction execution time in CPI on a pipelined processor but with 0.1*cycle overhead; (8 marks)

iii) Ignoring any latency impact, calculate the theoretical speedup gained from pipelining; (8 marks)

iv) In some MIPS pipeline implementations, the length of pipestages would be the same. In order to calculate the speedup, define an expression of speedup as a function using the following:
- Tunpipelined: execution time for unpipelined units.
- Tpipestage(i): the execution time of each pipestage (i), which may vary depending on the instruction type.
- Tlatch: overhead time between pipestages.

(Speedup = ?) (8 marks)

Explain and discuss your expression using results from the above example. (8 marks)

jay2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'm planning to leave, I just want to get it done, handed in and leave the uni (which I can do and be graded on the work). I'm more actual hardware/networking than this stuff.