Sign in with
Your question

HOW DO I SETTUP COMPAQ WITH WINDOWS 98 TO THE ATT MOTOROLA MODEM

Last response: in Networking
July 4, 2010 9:41:35 PM

Hi,

I need some help please. I had a old Compaq Presario Laptop that my boss gave me, and I have ATT DSL Motorola -yall know its that little silver one with "POWER / ETHERNET/ DSL / INTERNET / ACTIVITY...thats what it says across the top of it and it has yellow/green lights on the front of it ...

Well long story short , I was having problems with my old laptop and someone who was visiting, was like dont worry I can fix it, well they managed to make it 10 times worse - I got most of the stuff undone that they did.. But now I cant figure out how to get online....

I have gotten myself a new little netbook and that is cool because it is wireless and Im typing you from that now, but can someone please tell me how to settup my other laptop on the att dsl modem....thanks in advance.. any help will be great...thanks Erin
Anonymous
July 5, 2010 1:37:41 AM

Check the computer's TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

If that doesn't help, you need to access the Motorola's setup screens via an ethernet cable. See the literature which came with it for how. Once in make a note of the wireless security type (most likely WPA PSK TKIP) and the password (or create a new password).

If there is an option like Access List (which allows you to include or exclude users by MAC ID) disable it.

If there is an option for wireless mode go for mixed mode.

Apply the wireless security type and password to the computer's wireless network setup screen, remove ethernet cable and attempt to connect by wireless.
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:09:00 AM

Quote:
Check the computer's TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

If that doesn't help, you need to access the Motorola's setup screens via an ethernet cable. See the literature which came with it for how. Once in make a note of the wireless security type (most likely WPA PSK TKIP) and the password (or create a new password).

If there is an option like Access List (which allows you to include or exclude users by MAC ID) disable it.

If there is an option for wireless mode go for mixed mode.

Apply the wireless security type and password to the computer's wireless network setup screen, remove ethernet cable and attempt to connect by wireless.

Hi, thankyou for the very quick reply , but i dont think this laptop is wireless, it is a very old Compaq---my boss was gonna throw it away until I told him what I was using at home which was WEB-TV , so
I was thrilled to get this,,if I give you my phone number , could you please call me, I do better with someone walking me thru it.,..,if you cant I understand and I just wanted to say thank you for your help...but if you can call me , let me know whatever time is good for you is good for me...i will send you my phone number -if this is something you would be able to talk me thru over the phone....

thanks
hope you had a great july4th.

Erin
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 5, 2010 8:22:24 AM

Well, in England we don't actually celebrate 4th July as it was the first step in losing much of our empire in the Northern Hemisphere but, never mind, the many Americans living here in London celebrate it for us -- some fireworks audible last night.

You should be able to get on the internet by connecting the Compaq's networking port to the router via an ethernet cable. See the manual for the router or modem (you can probably download the full manual from the maker's site).
m
l
July 5, 2010 10:35:38 AM

thanks fihart, i dont know how but i did manage to get online- the only problem is the website all look very grainy, i have done everything i could think of,.,.changing text size , changing appearance - it just looks almost like it is an overexposure maybe.../// also my neighbor gave me an old laptop to use since mine was having problems, whoever she had gotten it from they put a password on it - so im not able to get on // it is a very old laptop, i think it is called an "NEC" is there anything i can do to that one to get online...thanks
erin
m
l
Anonymous
July 5, 2010 12:38:19 PM

Is the screen appearance poor on everything, not just the internet ? Try plugging in an external monitor if you have one that may help identify whether the problem is the laptop screen at fault or settings which you can change.

I think you need to stop collecting old laptops -- they are generally a lot older than desktop computers because they cost more so people keep them longer and generally they had less performance when new than equivalent desktop computers.

As for the password -- depends whether it's the password set in the BIOS, at Windows login or wireless security password.
m
l
July 5, 2010 7:32:38 PM

I agree about the not collecting the old laptops / but I had gotten Breast Cancer again, and I had the brilliant idea to get one of those little net books for dr's apts and sitting thru chemo and stuff - well it is so hard to type on these little ones, Im almost 6ft tall so i guess my hands are too big for this keyboard....oh yeah i wanted to ask you do they make laptops with the backlit keyboards for typing at night? oh, and i just downloaded intrenet explorer 8 - hated it, couldnt get anything to work - i did a restore couldnt get rid of it , finally had to go to add/remove and took it off there , i just put back on the internet explorer 7, that is where ill stay.....i dont know if you heard of it but Microsoft has the Clear Touch download and boy does it improve what you look at on the screen...but i bet you alrdy knew that...thanks again for all your help in England -- thanks from Texas!!
Erinb
m
l
Anonymous
July 6, 2010 1:40:55 AM

I use the Opera browser which is quick because it demands less resources than IE (or Firefox which most people I know use). You can get backlit desktop keyboards. Most connect via USB so may be usable with a laptop.
m
l
!