I have wireless connect throughout my townhome and never drop below 3 bars.
I have a multitude of issues:
For some reason while on ventrilo I often get lag spikes and keep getting disconnected. It seems as if I lost all internet at this time.
I thought I may have had a virus or something, but every time i scan for malware/virus.. nothing shows up except some cookies.
My ping has also been jumping to well over 9000 and sometimes upwards of 24000 on ventrilo.
let me know what you need to look at or any more information that may lead to fixing this problem. I have checked for packet loss and jumps, showing nothing.
More about :random drops wifi
September 30, 2010 8:37:01 PM
It may simply be that drops in wireless reception are more noticeable when using Ventrilo (whatever that is). What happens if you bypass wireless and connect the computer direct to the router by ethernet cable ?
You should try to optimise your wireless reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.