Sony Vaio RS PCV-RS620G, What Graphics card to upgrade to?

Nightstrife

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello, i have a sony vaio rs pcv-rs620G desktop and i want to upgrade my graphics card, what should i upgrade to that cheaps and affordable but also provides shader 2.0

Specs:

* Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3E GHz with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
* 160GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
* Standard RAM: 512MB PC-3200 400MHz DDR
* DVD+/-RW, CD-RW Combo Drive
* 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
* 10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)
* Seven USB 2.0 Ports (3 Front/4 Rear), One 6pin i.LINK Port (Rear)/One 4pin (Front)
* ATI Radeon 9200 128MB Video Memory (128-Bit DDR)
* Stereo Speakers Included
* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Operating System

Additional Specifications

* VGA-Out/DVI-Out (DVI Output: 1280 x 1024 x 60Hz Max.)/TV-Out
* 8x AGP 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration
* Giga Pocket MPEG2 Encoder/TV Tuner
* Modem: V.90 Compatible Data/Fax Modem
* Expansion Slots: Media Card Reader (Memory Stick, CF Type I & II, Micro Drive, Smart Media)
* Expansion Slots: One 8x AGP (Occupied by Graphics Card)
* Expansion Slots: Three PCI (Two Occupied)
* DVD-ROM: 16x Max. DVD-ROM Read/40x Max. CD-ROM Read
* Front Side Bus Speed: 800MHz
* Two PS/2 Connections (Mouse/Keyboard)

Manufacturer Specifications

* 2 S-Video Inputs (Front and Rear)
* Composite Video/Audio Inputs (Front and Rear)
* Stereo Line Input/Output
* Coaxial Input (VHF/UHF)
* Click to DVD (DVD Creation Software)
* PictureGear Studio (Digital Photo), DVgate Plus (Digital Video), Sonic Stage (Digital Music)
* VAIO Media Software (Network File Sharing)
* Microsoft Works 7.0 Software, Intuit Quicken 2004 New User Edition
* VAIO Recovery Wizard, VAIO Support Agent

link to specs: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRS620G_mksp.pdf

basically i wanna be able to play Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, etc
these games require shader model 2.0 and my current card does not support this

Your choices are limited and not to many people want to keep such machines up and running unless low budget or just want to get more years out of hopelessly outdated machine. I got a few such machines. Your options are mainly limited to ATI cards as Nvidia are quite rare for AGP that are still decent. 2400pro/3650 agp if you are looking at the low end. 4650/3850 agp at the high end for gaming ect. However you need to upgrade that ram as 512mb isn't much any more even for xp.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
that thing had come to dead end which there's not much you can do because ddr/agp are rare to find these day and the price would be just as ugly. plus pentium 4 are the famous garbage in cpu history and today even olddy e1xxx celeron processor can out pace it at least 3x of performance per clock but cost around 20 dollar not to mention e3xxx celeron and higher model like pentium e5xxx/6xxx and core 2 e7xxx that would total blow it out of existence.

there's no other way....get a new rig!

Nightstrife

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
honestly im hella noob when it comes to computers i dont kno which one to pick lmao! i just wanna be able to play high end games and such and i kno i need a better graphics card, ill prolly upgrade the ram and power supply too

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

no need to upgrade...build a brand new enthusiast rig if you want high end gaming

PS: list your budget so people can help you

soltex123

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

yeah not to wipe the icing of the cake. even if u spend 500+ on the current setup, you still will be very limited to playin or even starting the latest games... :sweat:

my opinion is dump the sony and get a new PC. Either ask a friends help or buy a prebuild pc. Anything will be better than what u have right now.. :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

no, it's just waste of money

plus i would wonder that p4ht can handle card like 4670 without huge performance loss due to bottleneck by weak cpu power. and you won't feel much in performance gain and it won't run 80% of modern video game without major lagging and artifact. overall it's bad idea.

That is a PCIe video card. There is an AGP HD4670 but it is $50 more than the HD4650 I linked and with your processor I really don't think it is worth the extra money. For that kind of money you could get a decent dual core, a motherboard for it and 2 gigs of DDR3 and actually have a relatively good modern system several times faster than the one you have now. Honestly that is probably your best course of action if you are interested in current games.

More ram will help but honestly now you are spending over $100 on a system that will still be quite outdated.
How much can you spend overall? Keeping a few components and rebuilding the rest really is your best option and doesn't have to cost that much.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

to be honest. this computer is old and you won't do much to feel like an actual upgrade. plus there are no such thing is "cheap"+"good" psu. most of 80 plus certified power supply are cost more than 50 bucks. a pair of 512mb x2 ddr ram is cost as much as 2 dual channel 2gb x4 ddr3 nowadays and agp card is expansive which you'd need much more than 150 bucks for these component and no guaranty for performance improvement. unless you think it's worthy....

i hadd look the entire thread and many people had mention this very point in the early post. it's waste your time and money and also it will cost you more trouble to debug because of the old motherboard and probably later on you'll going to change the part that is broken sooner of later, overall you're spent more money just to change entire part of system and cost far more money than that you think you can save it from getting a new pc. don't feel hostile because we're just tried to help you here. it is not worth to upgrade like everyone had mention long time ago. if you insist to do useless upgrade then you can search it yourself on newegg because we can't misguide you in toms hardware.