Did I get the wrong RAM

Cybernetic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Yeah. The speed is a little too fast for that board. Fortunately, I think you can slow down the RAM to the 1333 Mhz so it won't be a total loss (pay for 1600, but get 1333...). Perhaps the more advanced users can tell you how to clock it down.

Only someone with Assassinseye1's motherboard could explain how to change BIOS settings like memory clocks. Refer to your motherboard manual for this information.

The memory should work anyway, automatically under-clocked but I've heard some other people having such a problem where their memory doesn't auto under-clock.

As for the price, 1600MHz memory is in the exact same price range as 1333MHz, sometimes cheaper even though it is a little faster. Your motherboard supports up to 1333MHz speeds and you should have checked this prior to buying it and/or the memory.

If you have other DDR3 modules then put them in and according to your manual manually set the frequency from auto (or a similar word, can't say for sure since I don't have your board) to 1333MHz, save and exit the BIOS, turn off the computer, unplug it, hold down the power button for a few seconds, and switch out the memory with your 8GB kit and you should be set.

Cybernetic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I should have clarified; I meant that the same company's RAM with lower clock speeds cost less. Obviously you can get fast ram from GSkill / Corsair for one price, but even faster ram from a less used brand like Kingston (excuse me if you prefer Kingston).

As per the OPs post, I didn't know that memory could auto-clocked itself / w the motherboard. (Learn something new everyday :) ) If it does, that's good news for the OP.

I prefer G.Skill and Corsair, even within the same brands the 1600MHz kits occasionally creep below the 1333MHz kits in price. Memory has been supposed to auto-clock itself to the highest speed it, the CPU, and the motherboard all support by default for years. My 2004 P4 machine knew to under-clock it's DDR2 memory to 533MHz because the motherboard didn't support 667MHz.

However, sometimes this automatic under clocking of RAM that runs at unsupported speeds doesn't happen. That may be the case here, the motherboard refuses to automatically under-clock the RAM even though it can't use it without under-clocking it.

Just a few days ago I chatted with someone on these forums about their older machine refusing to under-clock his 400MHz DDR memory upgrade to 333MHz until he manually set it with his previous memory kit. That's the problem with RAM, sometimes it and motherboards fight each other for seemingly no reason even though they should be compatible.