Building my FIRST rig

majju2

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So I got the parts list done but I still need some help about which mobo to choose and tell if I should buy these parts now and start building it or wait for something new thats coming on the market thats really worth waiting for.

mobo : Asus Sabertooth TUF X58 @ €209 Or ASUS P6T SE @ €205

Intel Corei7 950 3.06GHZ

ATI HD6970

Corsair 6GB DDR3 2000MHz

1TB 7200RPM (Sata 3)

800/850W PSU (will it be enough I will have a crossfire in the future)

BENQ 24" FULL HD LED

Razer Lycosa Uk Edition

Optical Drive: ?

Case: NZXT Phantom

Cooler: was thinking about the Corsair H50 but I've heard there are some problems with H50 and phantom's upper fan.

Total : €1,600

I have already got a 5.1 sound system & mouse.
Any comments/recommendation are appreciated as I'm new here! Thanks

The replacement to the X58, the X68 chipset and LGA 2011 socket, is coming in Q3 of this year, so if you want to wait, you can.

That said, the X58 is a great platform, and will still serve you well in the coming years.

The Asus Sabertooth is one of the most highly regarded X58 boards. It should work great in your system.

Since you're planning a CF system, I would get a good 750-850W PSU like the Corsair HX series. Those are some of the best PSUs made, and will supply plenty of power to your system.

A great cooler that is inexpensive is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It's only $30 here in the states, so it should be around 30 Euros.

SATA III hard drives are a waste of money. They are only marginally faster for the amount you pay for them. You're better off spending the money on a good SATA II 1 TB like the Samsung F3, and then getting a 64GB SSD for your OS and a few major programs.

majju2

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks boiler for your help. I decided to build my rig next sat so i will go for the x58

and it has also been decided the Corsair 850W HX.

Hmm I can't find the cooler master cpu cooler from my local store. Found this one http://www.simarksupplies.com/ShowProduct.aspx/Product/P13718-Coolermaster-RR910HTX3GP-Multisocket/Category/C141-CPU-Coolers
but it looks cheaper. I won't be oc my cpu but I dont like my cpu temp to exceed more than 60C as it would be under some heavy gaming/proccessing power. Probably the Corsair is not neede and it is a bit expensive but I really like water cooling. the only problem was with the case NZXT Phantom.
DO you think maybe i could replace the fan with a thiner one ?

I've never used SSD (and no idea how). so I will stay with hdd, y is it sata 3 a waste of money?

That other coolermaster won't work, since it's not compatible with the 1366 mounting. I'm not sure what coolers you can get in Europe, so just keep checking around.
The Corsair doesn't do that great of a job compared to a lot of air coolers, and it still requires a fan, so noise level isn't entirely an argument. The stock cooler could probably keep it at/under 60C.

I don't know which fan is the issue, but the thinnest fans I know of are the 120x25mm.

SSDs are simply hard drives with no moving parts (think USB flash drive vs. external hard drive). They use the same SATA data and power plugs, and are much faster at reading data than standard hard drives. They tend to be 2.5" drives instead of 3.5" like hard drives, but I thought the Phantom could accommodate 2.5" drives.

As for hard drives, SATA III is faster than SATA II, BUT only very very slightly. The speed of the drive is limited by the hard drives themselves, due to the platters. You will not see any differences simply because the difference is so small, and you will have paid an extra $40-50 for the drive. It's just simply not worth it.

majju2

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
These are the final specs:

NZXT Phantom
Asus Sabertooth TUF X58
Intel Corei7 950 3.06GHZ
XFX ATI HD6970
6Gb(3x2Gb) DDR3 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC1600 Memory 
WD 1TB SATA3 FAEX Black edition 64MB
Corsair -850W TXEU
Razer Lycos Uk