Which Mobo do I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I'm going to start my first and hopefully only pc build. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm just thinking about replacing the

motherboard in my Gateway computer, so that I won't have to buy everything new. I'm looking at the Z68 Intel Chipset.

Here's the two mobo's that I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-DDR3-Motherboard-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3/dp/B00518M77U%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1320638-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00518M77U

and...

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-Motherboard/dp/B00503EA80%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1320638-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00503EA80

sorry, I dont know how to make links on here. I know they are basically the same thing, just one is Gigabyte brand for

$122, and the other is Asus for $238. I guess all I really would like to know is how important is brand for a

motherboard? I understand that for Power Supplies, brand is very important and should never cut corners cost-wise for

them. Would the same be true for motherboards? Obviously I would want to save $100 and get the cheaper one, but

perhaps there is a very good reason the Asus board is the extra $100? I'd rather not get the cheaper board and it crap

out on me. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Solution
G

In 7 months time, ivy league is coming out which gets you a %5-10 increase for same price. The new NVidia and AMD video cards are coming out as well which will lower current gen gpu's prices as well.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

That's not entirely true. What is true is that Gateway, Dell, HP and other computer manufacturers haven't always followed the standards universally. They often use non-industry standard power supply form factors, connectors and other hardware which can cause some serious headaches when trying to upgrade components within their systems. However, more recent designs tend to follow the standards more closely.

What is the model and manufacturer of the computer that you want to upgrade? Budget? More info will help in advising what you can do in regard to upgrades.

Edit: Just noticed that the computer is a Gateway. Still need to know the model number.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I just assumed that all computer companies HAD to adhere to the ATX form factors. Okay, I will buy a new case as well.

Right now, I've only got the money for a motherboard. I was going to get new components as money becomes

available to me. Hopefully I will be able to get 1 component ($150-$200) a month. Money's pretty tight right now, and I

figure it will be easier and overall faster to buy each component separately as the money I save comes, rather than

trying to save up $1000+ and buying everything at once. I have $250 right now for the motherboard. My computer is a

Gateway DX4820-02, so the case is CRAMMED as it is. I plan on buying the components in the following order:

Motherboard
CPU
Case
Graphics Card
650w Power Supply
Cooling Fans

I will just switch over my 750 GB HDD, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and CD/DVD Burner from this computer to save money.

G

Don't do that!!!!, save your money and get your parts together. It's the worst mistake you can make building a computer.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Okay,

Guess I'll have to take your word for it, although I don't really see why its worse. Considering its going to be like 7 months before I can get all the money together...maybe longer. I just see me getting the same parts for pretty much the same prices (I don't see component prices dropping anytime soon) just one at a time.

I'm going to make a new thread, since we are no longer talking about solely motherboards anymore. Thanks.

G

In 7 months time, ivy league is coming out which gets you a %5-10 increase for same price. The new NVidia and AMD video cards are coming out as well which will lower current gen gpu's prices as well.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.