Sign in with
Your question

Advice on dirt cheap media/old gaming build

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2011 9:42:51 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 week to 1 month

Budget Range: $75-150 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC (Video rips, Hulu, XBMC, possibly Blu-Ray rips but not required), 5.1 audio, Emulator gaming (MAME, 8 and 16-bit, possibly into 32-bit and PCSX2 but not required), wireless would be nice but not essential

Parts Not Required:
-Video card (spare MSI Radeon 4850 512mb with HDMI Dongle)
-RAM (using old GSKill 2gb, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
-Case (will custom mod, or use oldschool steel ATX desktop case and just paint it)
-Keyboard/Mouse
-Monitor (will hook this up to plasma TV through an Onkyo 607 receiver)
-Cables (have plenty of spare DVI-HDMI and HDMI cables)
-O/S (have windows xp or 7, depending on software compatibility)
-Hard Drive (have old 320gb)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com, directron.com, tigerdirect.com ~ Will consider user sales or reliable used parts

Country of Origin: U.S., Idaho

Parts Preferences: AMD or Intel (whatever works best with above parts/uses)

Overclocking: Maybe - though would be small as I don't want to invest in additional cooling

SLI or Crossfire: Not required

Monitor Resolution: Plasma HDTV, but native is 1080p

Additional Comments: This will probably be a very ugly system, but that's the goal. I may be interested in getting a remote that's compatible with HTPCs, but I'm not sure what would be required for this or how costly it would be. Prefer deals, as I'm cheap. Thank you in advance.
February 10, 2011 11:03:15 AM

I should add that I need to have the items shipped to me, and live in Moscow ID, so no in-store pickup deals for me unfortunately. Thanks though, I would have jumped on that with the MSI board in a second.
m
l
!