What ram do i need 8gb or 16gb? 2500k OC, p8z68, hd7950

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/kingston_hyperx_blu_ddr31600/

seems like this easily ocd inexpensive ram is on par with the higher priced stuff, and its 29.99 for 2x4gb at the egg with promo code and rebate.

Is 16gb way over kill for gaming everyday use and photoshop???

Solution
Considering photoshop 16GB won't be overkill. Also, DDR3 prices probably won't get much lower if at all. RAM probably won't get any cheaper per gigabyte until DDR4 comes out. Memory companies say that there isn't much room for profit and I'll cite the several former memory companies that have left the memory business as evidence backing up the Memory company's claims.

Right now 8GB of RAM is $30-45 for the 1333MHz and 1600MHz kits and 16GB is $60-85 for the 1333MHz and 1600MHz kits. I recommend Corsair or G.Skill personally but Kingston, Patriot, and Crucial should be good too.

Cybernetic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Indeed it is overkill. Most people stick to 8GB and don't really need more. Plus, the prices are bound to get lower in the future, so get the 8GB now and upgrade in the future if you want the 16GB.

EDIT: "fairly happy" --> "don't really need more"

First I should caution you as this is memory sent for review. The memory could be cherry picked.
As such, your results may differ in either a positive or negative way based on the capabilities of your hardware. That said, your mileage may vary!

As for the 16GB's for gaming it would be overkill but for Photoshop it would be a lowest I would suggest.

Considering photoshop 16GB won't be overkill. Also, DDR3 prices probably won't get much lower if at all. RAM probably won't get any cheaper per gigabyte until DDR4 comes out. Memory companies say that there isn't much room for profit and I'll cite the several former memory companies that have left the memory business as evidence backing up the Memory company's claims.

Right now 8GB of RAM is $30-45 for the 1333MHz and 1600MHz kits and 16GB is $60-85 for the 1333MHz and 1600MHz kits. I recommend Corsair or G.Skill personally but Kingston, Patriot, and Crucial should be good too.

Solution

hitechgowthaman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
2gb 2000Mhz beat 4gb 1800Mhz because the mhz is very important than capacity ,so buy 8gb 2000+Mhz overclockable memory from trancend.com directly @ low cost of $119 with lifetime warenty or 4gb $74 only 4gbx2=4000+Mhz @ low price of $150

MHz is NOT very important because RAM performance doesn't have a significant effect on most programs. Capacity is far more important than frequency and timings. Besides that, 2GB of 2400MHz would lose to 4GB of 1333MHz because neither photo shop nor high quality gaming can be done on 2GB of RAM, your insane if you want to try high quality gaming or photo shop with so little. Even 4GB isn't enough for some of the newest games.

Gaming is known for being among the worst offenders among programs that don't run any faster with higher performance RAM. Faster RAM has been proven to not increase maximum frames per second but it sometimes does improve the minimum frames per second slightly. Even then the difference between 1800MHz and 2000MHz would be indistinguishable and the 2GB of 2000MHz would have to run in single channel while the 1800MHz 4GB could be dual channel and that would throw off any minute gains of a 200MHz difference. The difference between 2GB and 4GB would be very clear since 2GB isn't enough memory and 4GB is not enough for some games anyway.

Then you tell us that two 2000MHz modules will basically mean 4000MHz... Do you know anything about RAM? I have to ask that because that is completely false. One RAM module at 4000MHz (none go that high right now) would slaughter two 2000MHz modules. Dual channel (IE having two modules) has nothing to do with the memories frequencies. Dual channel doubles the width of the interface from 64 bits to 128 bits. However, unlike GPUs our CPUs can't make good use of wide memory buses like that so even though the maximum theoretical bandwidth is doubled by doubling the width it is actually only a marginal improvement over single channel. Triple channel is a smaller improvement over dual channel and quad channel an even smaller improvement over triple channel.

Please study up on RAM before making claims about it.

Your whole argument was completely wrong and didn't help at all.

barnettgs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
Since the RAM are so cheap (for DDR3) at the moment, it would be better to get 16 GB. I am looking into 8 GB vs 16 GB system for my nephew, it is actually only £30 (or $45) more for 16 GB!

Also another reason is that, if I went for 8 GB and in a couple of years time, it would be difficult to buy extra RAMs of exact make if they still exisit, never mind the increased cost and postage.

Status
Not open for further replies.