Which SSD for me, and which speed matters?

33tango

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm trying to figure out which msata SSD I should populate my motherboard with. I've read about them and can't get a handle on which speeds matter the most in my situation. From what I've seen of prices I'm looking at the 40-60gb range. I'm looking to get a performance boost in gaming and load times. I do have a 1TB hard drive that I loaded everything on so far. I just bought and built the computer listed below last week. I have read some of the articles here on SSD but I'm not sure how much it applies in my case.

What SSD would you suggest?
Do I need to try and load windows on the SSD?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB Graphics Card (1024 MB, GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0 16x, DVI-I x 2, Mini-HDMI, SLI-Capable)
Coolermaster 212+

currently overclocked at 4ghz.

Thank you for your opinion.

IN this order:

Intel
Patriot
Ocz for price

You can load windows on the ssd, or if you have problems, load it on your seagate drive and clone it to the ssd using maxblast 5.0, free software for seagate and maxtor hardrives. Just connect only one drive at a time while windows is installed, and add the second drive while windows is running, so it sets it as a backup drive. I clone my drives so both are boot devices; disconnect one of the drives after cloning; boot up with the ssd, then add the regular sata drive while windows is running. Then the seagate will be a backup, but if the ssd fails, you switch the sata and power supply leads to the seagate, and it will boot up as a perfect boot up drive with your important files already installed. This is for folks who don't use raid, but would like their main files backed up, ready to use. I've had two ssd's fail so far, both replaced under warranty. The ssd connectors are delicate; don't mess with them once everything is running.

will_s

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Intel Smart Response Technology is what I would suggest

I have the UD4 version of your mobo and it comes withs a booklet on that and according to the book cover its 4X+ faster then HDD-only system

Check that out and it may help you .... if I hadnt purchased a 256gb SSD I would have done that ( only found out more about it after reading the booklet )

as for speed of SSD, well unless you are benchmarking I doubt if you will tell the difference in speeds between the different brands in real life....