Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2011 5:57:59 PM

HI!

I've got a problem: I'm not sure what CPU should I pick. I'm choosing between Core i7 950 and Core i7 2600K.

I would like to keep the computer for at least 3-4 years, so I would like to have a Cpu with a new socket that won't get replaced that quickly.

I'm not going to overclock the CPU so much and the overclocking performance is not that important to me.

So which one should I get?

More about : choosing cpu

a b à CPUs
May 10, 2011 6:00:03 PM

definitely the i7 2600k
However i think you are on a budget?
Then the i5 2500k would be a great budget cpu.
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2011 9:20:36 PM

^+1
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2011 9:33:19 PM

Domenus said:
HI!

I've got a problem: I'm not sure what CPU should I pick. I'm choosing between Core i7 950 and Core i7 2600K.

I would like to keep the computer for at least 3-4 years, so I would like to have a Cpu with a new socket that won't get replaced that quickly.

I'm not going to overclock the CPU so much and the overclocking performance is not that important to me.

So which one should I get?

Well out of those 2 cpu's, as others have agreed, I'd go with the 2600K.

Although, if your not into much overclocking, (and if you dont need the more powerful integrated graphics) then i would say just save a few bucks and go for for the non K version. (core i7 2600 for example)

If you need a more budget oriented cpu, then i would also recommend a Core i5 2500k or Core i5 2500.
May 11, 2011 2:53:24 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
definitely the i7 2600k
However i think you are on a budget?
Then the i5 2500k would be a great budget cpu.

Yeah, I am on a budget. But i think I can afford 2600K.

BTW: Can you recommend me a compatible motherboard? I would prefer a model with a lot of PCI and PCI-E slots for future updates and SLI technology for multile Nvidia GPUs
May 11, 2011 2:57:29 PM

warmon6 said:
Well out of those 2 cpu's, as others have agreed, I'd go with the 2600K.

Although, if your not into much overclocking, (and if you dont need the more powerful integrated graphics) then i would say just save a few bucks and go for for the non K version. (core i7 2600 for example)

If you need a more budget oriented cpu, then i would also recommend a Core i5 2500k or Core i5 2500.

I've just checked the Intel's website. Before you sent your post i didn't even know that the K means integrated graphics. Well, I certainly don't need the graphics, but I would like to have a CPU with unlocked multiplier. Any ideas?
May 11, 2011 5:21:00 PM

What motherboard with Socket 1155 and x58 chipset should I get?

a b à CPUs
May 11, 2011 5:24:41 PM

Domenus said:

No, i advice you to get the i5 2500k unless your doing heavy cpu oriented work.The only things that make a i7 2600k a i7 2600k is that its an extra 2mb cache and HT which is very very worthless.
I found that out since i have 2 i7 2600ks..I should have bought 2 i5 2500k..Really stupid of me..
May 11, 2011 5:25:42 PM

My bad. Just realized X58 doesn't support 1155
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2011 5:25:47 PM

Domenus said:

You get a p67 chipsets which are available now or a z68 chipset which would be available in a few days time depending on location.
I suggest the z68 asrock mobos.Though i dont know what you plan to use your pc for just yet.
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2011 7:52:22 PM

Domenus said:
I've just checked the Intel's website. Before you sent your post i didn't even know that the K means integrated graphics. Well, I certainly don't need the graphics, but I would like to have a CPU with unlocked multiplier. Any ideas?

All of the 2nd gen core i(3,5,and 7) have intergrated graphics, it just the "k" versions have a more powerful graphics than there non k counter parts.

As for wanting unlocked multi's well that would limit you to the K variants. I just suggested the non k variants as you were saying that you wouldn't be overclocking or very much of type of saying.

As for motherboard idea's,

It sound like your wanting a motherboard close to (if not exactly like) this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots (runs at 8x when both slots are used)

2 pci's

3 pci-e 2.0 x1

There are higher end motherboards with more pci-e x16 (and less pci-e x1) slots but the price is very high for those types of motherboards.

Although as ghnader pointed out, what are you going to be using for? depending on what your doing (say gaming) me might be able to put more of the right components for the task your about to.
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 9:25:30 PM

I recommend waiting a few weeks until there are more reviews of Z68 boards
May 13, 2011 1:11:16 PM

warmon6 said:
All of the 2nd gen core i(3,5,and 7) have intergrated graphics, it just the "k" versions have a more powerful graphics than there non k counter parts.

As for wanting unlocked multi's well that would limit you to the K variants. I just suggested the non k variants as you were saying that you wouldn't be overclocking or very much of type of saying.

As for motherboard idea's,

It sound like your wanting a motherboard close to (if not exactly like) this

2 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots (runs at 8x when both slots are used)

2 pci's

3 pci-e 2.0 x1

There are higher end motherboards with more pci-e x16 (and less pci-e x1) slots but the price is very high for those types of motherboards.

Although as ghnader pointed out, what are you going to be using for? depending on what your doing (say gaming) me might be able to put more of the right components for the task your about to.

Gaming is going to be one of the biggest uses of this PC.

As for the motherboard I've found a bit more high end model from Asus that is better suited for a hi end PC which would last for 5+ years.

I really need some help choosing the best graphic card. I sort of like the the 560 gtx from Nvidia. However I'm not sure exactly which card to pick (for example: Asus 560gtx or maybe Gigabyte 560 gtx etc.)

Do you know any other graphic cards in this price range or less that perform as good or better?
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 3:25:36 PM

yes then 2500k would be great build.
a c 190 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2011 5:45:32 PM

Right now very few games support more than 3 threads; with that in mind the 4 extra threads that the Intel® Core™ I7-2600K has over the Intel Core I5-2500K doesn’t have much value in a gaming environment. So at that point you are looking at 100 MHz difference in performance for just about $100. Now as far as sockets go 1155 is our latest socket and is projected into the foreseeable future as our main stream socket for the desktop market. So now that leaves you with making up your mind as to which board to pick. For a gamer I would say you should look at the P67 or the new Z68 boards. There are some great well established P67 boards from all the major manufacturers.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
May 13, 2011 5:58:40 PM

Could you please help me with the graphics card? I am thinking about Nvidia GTX 560 Ti GPU, but I don't know what brand should I get (e.g. Asus, Gigabyte...)
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 6:01:57 PM

brands which are best are dependant on the person to person..
I like gigabyte some people like Asus others like Msi.
Do you want to play eyefinity?Or just use 2 displays?
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 6:02:48 PM

I like Gigabyte cards.So yeah get the gigabyte 560 ti OC version.
May 13, 2011 6:04:15 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Right now very few games support more than 3 threads; with that in mind the 4 extra threads that the Intel® Core™ I7-2600K has over the Intel Core I5-2500K doesn’t have much value in a gaming environment. So at that point you are looking at 100 MHz difference in performance for just about $100. Now as far as sockets go 1155 is our latest socket and is projected into the foreseeable future as our main stream socket for the desktop market. So now that leaves you with making up your mind as to which board to pick. For a gamer I would say you should look at the P67 or the new Z68 boards. There are some great well established P67 boards from all the major manufacturers.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I think I'll stick to i7 because I also use software like Photoshop and Autodesk 3ds max which should benefit from those extra 4 threads, right?

I would like to know what's your opinion on this board:

May 13, 2011 6:07:30 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I like Gigabyte cards.So yeah get the gigabyte 560 ti OC version.

Sounds nice!

Where could I get it?

BTW: There is also a non Ti version of the 560 GTX, which is claimed to have like 100Mhz more processor speed than the Ti version. Is it worth checking out?
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 6:12:15 PM

no it wont use the threads..
May 13, 2011 6:24:00 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
no it wont use the threads..

So you are saying that getting 2600K would be dumb considering the software capability of using multiple threads?
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 6:25:59 PM

Quote:
Issue
You are using a computer with a multi-core processor, and you have noticed that the acad.exe process does not use 100% of your available CPU resources. You want to know if AutoCAD supports multi-core processors.

Solution
AutoCAD only supports multi-core technology in a couple of very specific areas of the product, including:

2D regeneration
MentalRay rendering

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=...
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2011 6:26:36 PM

in my above thread it shows autodesk not to be dependent on cores.
May 13, 2011 6:32:19 PM

It's nice of you doing a research but the link that you posted shows the cores that AutoCAD uses and not 3ds max which is a completely different software.
May 13, 2011 6:35:03 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/images/ts1095807_01.jpg

Quote:
Issue
You are using a computer with a multi-core processor, and you have noticed that the acad.exe process does not use 100% of your available CPU resources. You want to know if AutoCAD supports multi-core processors.

Solution
AutoCAD only supports multi-core technology in a couple of very specific areas of the product, including:

2D regeneration
MentalRay rendering

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=...

It says here that it supports multiple cores in MentalRay rendering. That's good, coz I use MentalRay alot
May 13, 2011 7:10:57 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
sorry it does support multicore technology.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=...
But if i were you i would choose the i5 2500k but the i7 2600k is good.Its just that i dont think i7 with its Hyperthreading and 2mb more of level 3 cache is worth the extra 100bucks.

You've got a good point. But I think I gonna consider the i7 as an investment in the future, because sooner or later software will support more threads.
I'll see how will it go money vise, but if I can afford it, I'll probably buy it.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
May 19, 2011 7:58:03 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

What about multitasking?

The i7 has 4 more threads than the i5. Does that improve the computer's performance when running several apps at once?
!