Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Motherboards] How to figure default bios version?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2012 4:57:32 AM

Hello,

I've got a new ASRock N68C-S UCC motherboard and a AMD Phenom II X4 processor to go with it. I can't get the board to post (no video or beeps). I checked to make sure that the processor was compatible but I didn't notice until I got it that it says it needs to have bios version 1.2 for this processor. Since I can't post I have no idea what the default bios on the board is. I got it from newegg but I can't find it listed on there either. Is there any way to figure out if I need to update the bios in order to get my processor to work? And if that is the case how can I do that without being able to boot?

Best solution

January 13, 2012 5:04:54 AM

loweb1 said:
Hello,

I've got a new ASRock N68C-S UCC motherboard and a AMD Phenom II X4 processor to go with it. I can't get the board to post (no video or beeps). I checked to make sure that the processor was compatible but I didn't notice until I got it that it says it needs to have bios version 1.2 for this processor. Since I can't post I have no idea what the default bios on the board is. I got it from newegg but I can't find it listed on there either. Is there any way to figure out if I need to update the bios in order to get my processor to work? And if that is the case how can I do that without being able to boot?

You have the model: HD96ZTWFK4DGR(BE) Phenom II for sure?? If so then that is most likely your problem. Go to a local shop with your PC and tell them you just need to flash your motherboard and see if they have a spare AMD sempron that you can use for a minute. They have probably had to do this before so they shouldnt have a problem with this.

Believe me this is the fastest and easiest way to do this, even if they ask for a 20 dollar fee, DO IT!

Hope this helps!
January 13, 2012 6:52:53 PM

You can always call around to a couple of shops to find one that will do it. If you tinker a lot (like me) it might be beneficial to grab a spare processor for such occasions.

I just ordered that board and mine came with v. 1.5, but yours may have been in inventory for a bit.

I will say that it is very picky about the processor being seated perfectly. I went through hours trying to troubleshoot why mine wouldn't post, and three pins on the side of my processor were ever so slightly bent. It was straight enough to insert into the socket, but it wasn't connecting well. After I bent them back it posted with no trouble at all. You may also make sure that your RAM is compatible. That board is kind of picky about the ram, and what not.

eta: if you are not super pressed for time, then you can always grab a processor from Amazon, or ebay. It would be about the same as if the shop charges you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_scat_229189_l...!493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A193870011%2Cn%3A229189%2Ck%3Aam3+cpu&sort=price

eata: I just noticed some of the processors on that link are not AM2, AM2+ or AM3... just make sure you get a compatible one if you do.
Related resources
January 20, 2012 12:37:07 AM

Thank you both for the responses.

I ended up taking it to a local repair shop, as was suggested, to have them check / update the bios. Turns out that the board came with the latest version (1.6) after all and that my issue was actually a faulty power supply.

I didn't think my power supply was bad because all of my fans and case lights were working and I could hear my hard drives spinning up, etc. And the power supply would get another motherboard I have to boot to the bios. Of course the reason I got a new motherboard in the first place was because the old one wouldn't get any further than the bios. I thought the hard drive controller on the motherboard went bad.

Apparently the power supply was only partially failing and doing so with differing symptoms depending on which components I was using. This makes sense in retrospect but was quite difficult for me to diagnose without having a fully equipped test best. I could have saved myself quite a bit of time, trouble, and money by taking it to the shop earlier. :??: 

January 20, 2012 12:38:41 AM

Best answer selected by loweb1.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 20, 2012 3:57:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
!