boggess380

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Ok so I just bought a intel d955xcs mother board and i have a 1000watt power supply from the dell that its going into..is that gonna be too much for the mother board?

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Generally speaking, any power supply with enough wattage will work with any motherboard. If the motherboard only needs 150w, then it'll only take 150w.

You might want to check into that Dell PSU though--research the model number and see if it's the same as a normal ATX power supply. Even if the plugs are the same... just to be sure. I think some of their hardware is electrically differentiated from the ATX standard.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The efficiency of the power supply is the true issue at eh power level used. If are using only twenty to thrity percent the efficency may be lower that at ninety to a hundred percent of rated power.

boggess380

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
thank you very much..im new to replacing motherboards completely but the computer was free. I just wanted to make sure. Also the xps 700 has front panel l.e.d's which are controlled by the bios...any idea how that feature can be obtained using a new motherboard?

I assume you mean the power and hard drive activity led's on the front panel of your case.

The answer to your question is it depends on the make and model of your new motherboard. You'll have to consult the motherboard manual and access BIOS when you boot to see if the feature exists. If the feature exists, then you can either enable or disable the led's in the BIOS.

If the feature does not exist in BIOS and for some reason you do not want the led's on, then simply do not connect the led power cables to the motherboard. It won't cause any problems if those cables are not plugged in.

I'd be willing to bet the feature does not exist in BIOS. Modern motherboards are now equipped with led's right on the motherboard. I've got a brand new Asus Sabertooth 55i motherboard for my Intel Core i7 860 system. The motherboard comes with several onboard led's that represent the status of various board components. I can control those led's in the BIOS. Very cool!

The XPS 700 used a somewhat standard ATX power supply , it has both a 20 and 24 pin motherboard connection instead of a 24 and 8 pin.
It's possible that you can mod the 20 pin connector to create the 8 pin that the 955cxs calls for, you may even be able to just offset the psu connector onto the MB connector , but it's something you need to be aware off.
No way I know of to utilize the front panel led's.
Do you know yet if the board will fit the case ?
I bought one in an attempt to upgrade an XPS 410, but it was to large for the case.

boggess380

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

I just ordered the mobo so we'll see. It is a full blown btx as was the 700 motherboard so it should fit..im not sure what the 410 came factory with.

boggess380

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

No the XPS 700 has 8 l.e.d's that have several color options and patterns that you can change accordingly. This picture might help since it's hard to explain http://www.itnewsonline.com/images/news/Dell-XPS-700.jpg But, Dell incorporated the controls for these into their bios and now that im placing an intel board into it Im more then likely gonna lose the feature.

AHHH! Understood. The led's are bling (decoration).

There is a solution. If the 8 led's are wired to a single power cable with a miniature 2 pin connector or two single pin connectors, then you can simply connect them to the power led connection on your new motherboard. If you decide you do not want the led's on, then don't connect them. It's not an elegant solution like using BIOS but it will work.

G

I also bought this board, as an upgrade to a BTX-form Gateway. The 955 was too large for that case as well. After quite a bit if searching, I found that there are almost no BTX cases that will fit this board. Right now it's in a huge Thermaltake Armor case with a BTX conversion kit in it (replaces the back panel and adds a retention module for the BTX cooler). There's no choice on coolers for those things either - the mounting holes are different from a standard socket 775 layout, so a true BTX cooler is the only thing you can use. In then end, I've gone to a lot of trouble to put something together that still won't support anything better a Pentium D!

boggess380

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
ya i know come to find out theres no way to hook the dell power button up to the intel motherboard so im looking at getting the thermaltake armor case. its almost not worth it anymore haha