Lost my Admin Tools. List, anyone?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I accidentally deleted my "Administative Tools" shortcut icons. It displays an empty tab when I go to:

<b>Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > </b>"empty".

Can someone list them (the exe's) for me? That way I can find them & restore them to this folder.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can think of a few workarounds ...

Go into the Control Panel. Right-click on the Administrative Tools folder and choose to create a shortcut on the desktop.

Then go into Windows Explorer, under Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs, and copy the shortcut to the folder.

You could also try to run Start\Settings\Taskbar and Start Menu, and uncheck\check Display Administrative Tools under the Advanced Tab. Perhaps doing this will place the folder back on the Start Menu.

You can also check Expand Control Panel, and that will give you fast access to the tools.

Not all of the tools are .exe's. Assuming your OS is on a C:\> partition, this is default:

Component Services
C:\WINNT\system32\Com\comexp.msc

Computer Management
%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s

Data Sources (ODBC)
%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe

Event Viewer
%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Local Security Policy
%SystemRoot%\system32\secpol.msc /s

Performance
%SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc /s

Services
%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s

Telnet Server Administration
%SystemRoot%\system32\tlntadmn.exe

Have you thought about using the MMC console? Then you could create a new Admin folder, and add whatever snap-ins to it that you like. Lots of Customization options.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>