Motherboard with built in SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I asked my friend if it would be worth it to get an SSD and if there was a massive performance increase during bootup for an SSD. He then told me something about an SSD being built in into his Mobo. Is this true? If so what do you call these kinds of boards and are they reliable and perform well? Sorry but I've never heard of these things before, that Mobos have built in SSDs just for boot up.

Solution
The SSD is not build in, but simply bundled with the mobo and connected to mSATA port (SSD is removable, it is not strictly "build in").

I think it is better to get a normal SSD. Unless you are running out of drive space in your build (but really, who will? Just put SSD in and take HDD out and connect HDD with USB 3.0 or eSATA. Get a PCIe card if you don't have USB 3.0 or run out of port).

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
No built in ssd's. And yes, they are mostly for fast boot up times. But since I don't use "sleep mode" with my wireless keyboard, I'm getting used to the quiet and fast boot up time; I won't use an old hardrive anymore except in emergencies.

I'm sorry but what do you call this then?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/28/gigabyte-bolts-an-ssd-to-a-motherboard-so-you-dont-have-to/

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Seriously you already knew the answer to your first question (cause you linked it) then try to bust this guy for not knowing it? What a joke. This isn't stump the chump.

The SSD is not build in, but simply bundled with the mobo and connected to mSATA port (SSD is removable, it is not strictly "build in").

I think it is better to get a normal SSD. Unless you are running out of drive space in your build (but really, who will? Just put SSD in and take HDD out and connect HDD with USB 3.0 or eSATA. Get a PCIe card if you don't have USB 3.0 or run out of port).

Solution

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

As the other poster has pointed out it isnt strictly speaking built in so dont be a jerk yourself since it was a sincere question. Don't be a dick you prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.