Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No idea whats wrong with my pc, need help.

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2011 10:31:53 PM

Alright so back in november near the end of it, i bought upgrades for my computer an i70 950, sabertooth x58, 6gig corsair. The install went fine, i did notice my computer at first only recognized 4gb of ram, so then i just changed what slot i had each stick of ram in and then it recognized 6gb. My problem i am having now is only when i try to play a game, the sound starts to distort a bit then my computer just restarts on it own, then when it boots up it asks if i want to start in safe mode or normal and what not, the normal thing it asks when ur pc shuts down wrong. This problem started a week ago i leave my pc on all the time never had problem, i played wow all day that day like i have before then i decided to play some BC2 and then thats when my computer crashed and this whole thing happened. I updated the drivers to my video card, scanned my pc for viruses and what not, then i did a hard drive error check to see if there is any bad sectors, after running that i came back to my pc the next day which was yesterday and it was working fine, i could play my games and no crashing, but today i come back to my computer it did a windows update and now the problem is happening again, but my pc will not crash when im not in a game. the temps to all my hardware is not bad, my highest temp is 70c, which i think is my video card it just says aux on speed fan. so i honest have no idea whats wrong with my computer if i could get some help that would be awesome.

Specs:
i7 950
sabertooth x58
6gb corsair tripple channel
500gb WD HD (3 1/2 years old)
HIS 4870 1gb slightly factory overclocked (lil over a year old)
600w PS (3 1/2 years old)

More about : idea whats wrong

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2011 10:33:02 PM

Hello hayze;
Have you tested your RAM? Run MemTest86+ for several passes (5 or more) to check your memory for possible errors. http://www.memtest.org/
If it turns up errors try running 1 stick at a time and see if you might have a bad stick.
Also try running in different slots.
m
l
March 4, 2011 12:11:41 PM

i ran memtest over the night and it went through 8 tests and passed them all.
could i possibly be having a hard drive problem?
i also ran memtest right after the problem occured as well.
another thing i noticed not sure if it was just a fluke or something but i went almost a week with no problems then i ran steam my computer did the same thing just did the weird screen distortion real fast and sound then restarted, but then i again later after it rebooted i did not run steam and it happened again.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 4, 2011 12:25:44 PM

hi haze,
try running prime95 for around 6-10 hours
if it's fine, turn it off and run furmark for around 5 hours
if that's fine, run both together for 6-10 hours
that'll help you isolate what the problem is
personally, i think you may have a psu problem because the i7 950 is a real power hog
March 4, 2011 1:54:30 PM

alright i will test that out.
but if you thinking it is a PSU problem, i might agree with because my PSU is not that great of quality and actually does kinda make sense why this is happening.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i have had that since nov of 2007, and i have had to buy so many extra connectors for it to get all my hardware to power up, so im thinking i should just upgrade to better anyways.
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:24:22 AM

no no no, the i7 950 drains ALOT of power, the 4870 isn't exactly an efficient graphics card either,
I'd say, to be safe, to go in around the 650 W-700 W area, that'll give you room to upgrade in the future and will ensure your psu isn't screwing up your computer
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:15:10 AM

ok that is what i was thinking, but this guy on a different forum told me that 500w is enough, even said my system uses less than 400w, which i found very hard to find.
do you have any suggestions on what PSU to go with?
I was looking at this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but $90 is kinda high =/, but then again i do have a high end pc so skimping on this would be bad lol.
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:56:44 PM

yes, Corsair is probably one of the best PSU makers
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:27:06 AM

ok so i ran OCCT and prime95 just now.
when i ran OCCT after 1 minute of my CPU being understress it would stop the test and say CPU too hot, but my temps only reached 80c.
then when i did the stress test on prime95 i ran it for 2 min and my temps where hitting the 90's so i stopped, i know it could go a lil higher but i didn't want to take the risk or possibly hurting my CPU.
I am using the stock cooler, but when i play my games such as BC2 my CPU temp is at a solid 70c.
One thing I did notice every time i ran the stress test on both programs the fan inside my PSU would start to make a raddling vibrating sound (which i have had for a year or so now off and on with my old specs). once i stopped the tests the sound would go away.
So i kinda want to safely assume that it is my power supply, because when it crashes during LoL i know that game doesn't take much system requirements at all.
with all that being said what would a good cpu cooler be for my processor? i'm not really looking to overclock at all, i might when i have the money to set up a water cooling system and get a much better case than i have right now.
i been looking around the web and i been seeing that the Coolmaster hyper 212 plus is good to use. (kinda in my price range as well, willing to pay $40-50, but if i don't need to id much prefer that).
But i am going to order a new PSU, going to go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... because its only $10 more than the 650w (i have a promo code).
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:08:49 PM

Yeah, get the CM 212, great deal
your temps may be a problem also
m
l
March 14, 2011 10:26:59 PM

Best answer selected by hayze.
m
l
!