Solorian Questions

Mac

Hi Tim,

I have two questions about the Solorians.

1. In the new host, Ion cannons will not fire if the base shield is up.
The Solorians get a free base shield if they have 10 mio cols in the
base. This race is unable to turn off the base shield as it only
appears during combat. Can we put in a Base command code that
overrides the base shield so the Solorians get the same choice as other
races??

2. I noticed recently that a log message stating "Star too cold" is
appearing for bases with a star heat of less than 30 and that there is
no colonist growth on those planets regardless of food or happiness.
Is this by design??

Thanks heaps
Mac

Mac, I can partly answer #2

The Solarain growth formula should be:

(StarHeat / 10) ^ 2 * 2. Yes, the hotest star heat we're aware of is
98. But conversely, we're not aware of any star heat 0s either.

At star heat 30, that is only 18. (Less than Borg away from their
King!!!) No wonder your having breeding problems on colder worlds than
that.

The log about "Star too cold" is to keep you informed.

Both I and Griffin hope that on a master, that the Solarian HW start
with the hotest star type. Certinately any one scripting a game should
do so. (But don't make the entire area around the Solarains hot, that
would be too powerful.) In fact if scripting allowed an actual star
heat in addition to type, I'd recommend star heat 95 for the Solarian
HW.

The main thing for Solarian players is to keep the bulk of their
colonists on bases that have the hotest stars around.

In addition, we are hoping no 3rd party race is ever approved that
would allow heating up stars. (Making them colder is okay, that just
makes them #1 enemy of the Solarians.)

tempest

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I've been toying with some ideas about a race on the opposite spectrum
as the Solarians (and Crystals) with the ability, at great cost, to
reduce the heat of a star. I was thinking perhaps a race where their
goal is remove all energy and heat from the universe and make it a
void, as it once was. High star heat and planet climate would destroy
these creatures. Although I'm not sure if the ability would be based
on a ship device, or a building that uses resources and perhaps
colonists to accomplish it. It would also make for some interesting
conflict between these races, however I don't think I will persue it
further, until the 3rd party race freeze (no pun intended) has been
lifted.

Mac

Thanks for that.

Just as a side note however, I am playing in a number of games as the
Solorians, and I just had a quick scan of all the planets that I can
see. In 3 out of the 4 games, there are stars with a heat of 0. There
are also a number under 5.

For example in one game I have 72 planets. 21 of these are under 30
star heat. 11 of these 21 are under 10 and 4 of them are 0. This
means that on average around 25% of planets are uncolonisable by the
Solorians. Is this too large?? The calculation before just meant that
the Solorians grew way slower on the cold planets.

Most other races (as they are based on planet heat and not star heat)
are not disadvantaged in such a way as they can buy, steal or beg a
terraformer of some sort.

Was it felt that the Solorians grew too fast and this is a levelling
factor??

Mac

In addition I have some problems with the real growth rate of the
solorians.
An old formula said it is:
[0,2+(StarHeat/30)]*0,5

The formula written above says:
(StarHeat/10)^2*2

I tested it. With both formulas I should have a growth about 1,15 and
1,36. But in the game I have something between 1,05 and 1,08.

So what's the real deal now?

thx
Acids

Nope. They only heat the planet's climate. The Solorian growth rate
depends on STAR heat, which is not effected by the solorian population.
The hotter planet just means they can eventually farm any planet.

> (StarHeat / 10) ^ 2 * 2. Yes, the hotest star heat we're aware of is
> 98. But conversely, we're not aware of any star heat 0s either.

I should say that I have seen much more star heats 0 than star heats above 90.
And I have just checked it on the games I'm playing right now.

Nyh

I can confirm this. Much more Starheat with 0 than with 90 oder above.

But maybe we can get back to solorian growth rate... :)
Has anyone an idea?
Maybe Tim can write something...

thx
Acids

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Acids42 wrote:
> In addition I have some problems with the real growth rate of the
> solorians.
> An old formula said it is:
> [0,2+(StarHeat/30)]*0,5
>
> The formula written above says:
> (StarHeat/10)^2*2
>
> I tested it. With both formulas I should have a growth about 1,15 and
> 1,36. But in the game I have something between 1,05 and 1,08.
>
> So what's the real deal now?

Just guessing. But it looks like the new formula.
Eventhough it is probably clearer if we write the formula a little bit
differently: 2*(StarHeat/10)*(StarHeat/10).
So a StarHeat of 80, gives you a growth that is equivalent to the birds
growth (128)- so 1,064. A starheat of 50, gives you a growth rate of 50
- so 1,025.
And so on...
Growth rate stated is without happiness bonus factored in.
Of course I have done no test, but...

If starheat > 90 Then
'// 17.6% growth rate MAX next to temp 100
stars //
'// 16.1% growth rate next to temp 91 stars //
dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 30)) * .05
Else
'// 6% growth rate next to temp 90 stars
'// 2.6% growth rate next to temp 30 stars
dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 90)) * .05
End If

If starheat < 30 Then
'// Cooler than 30. . . forget about it. . .
dGrow = 0
logout meBaseT.id, "Star too cold!"
End If

Tim

David

Solarians have a listed growth rate of 75

clearly the effective growth rate is much higher

perhaps the listed growth rate needs to be updated as the current low value
will give them more resource points

I'm assuming the resource point formula is still:

vRes = (vRes * 0.25) + (vRes * (200 - GrowthRate) / 100 * .75)

Mac

cocomax wrote:
> If starheat > 90 Then
> '// 17.6% growth rate MAX next to temp 100
> stars //
> '// 16.1% growth rate next to temp 91 stars
//
> dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 30)) * .05
> Else
> '// 6% growth rate next to temp 90 stars
> '// 2.6% growth rate next to temp 30 stars
> dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 90)) * .05
> End If
>
> If starheat < 30 Then
> '// Cooler than 30. . . forget about it. . .
> dGrow = 0
> logout meBaseT.id, "Star too cold!"
> End If
>
> Tim

Thanks heaps Tim.

Now about question 1 about the base shields..???

No Planet is uncolonisable by solorians as your colonists heat a planet ...
500k colonists one degree each turn!

So if it would be really important to increase the temperature on low
temperature worlds you can ground chunnel a high populated base to this cold
planet! Lets say you ground chunnel a 10 mio colonist base! They will heat
the world by 20 degrees each turn! After you had increased the temperature
over 50 you can chunnel these heating base to another cold planet!

Mydgard

"Mac" <mcwatersp@bigpond.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thanks for that.
>
> Just as a side note however, I am playing in a number of games as the
> Solorians, and I just had a quick scan of all the planets that I can
> see. In 3 out of the 4 games, there are stars with a heat of 0. There
> are also a number under 5.
>
> For example in one game I have 72 planets. 21 of these are under 30
> star heat. 11 of these 21 are under 10 and 4 of them are 0. This
> means that on average around 25% of planets are uncolonisable by the
> Solorians. Is this too large?? The calculation before just meant that
> the Solorians grew way slower on the cold planets.
>
> Most other races (as they are based on planet heat and not star heat)
> are not disadvantaged in such a way as they can buy, steal or beg a
> terraformer of some sort.
>
> Was it felt that the Solorians grew too fast and this is a levelling
> factor??
>
> Mac

There are almost no one planet with star heat > 90, so this new grow
rate drops the solorian rate to 6%, it's ridiculous.
I think that if you want to reduce the solorians grow rate it would be
best to do something like:
0 < SH < 30 -> grow rate = 0
31 < SH < 70 -> *really* low grow rate
71 < SH < 99 -> high grow rate

If starheat > 70 Then
dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 30)) * .05
'// 17.6% growth rate MAX next to temp 100 stars //
'// 12.8% growth rate next to temp 71 stars //
Else If starheat > 30 Then
dGrow = (0.20 + (starheat) / 90)) * .05
'// 4.8% growth rate next to temp 70 stars
'// 2.6% growth rate next to temp 31 stars
Else
dGrow = 0
logout meBaseT.id, "Star too cold!"
'// Cooler than 30. . . forget about it. . .
End If

(Perhaps it would be better to use a switch/case instead of an if/else)

Nyh

Tim, do Solorians get benefit from Tank-o-Tronic exotic techs? And if
they do how do they effect on growth rate?

If your 3rd party race also grows fastest in cold star heat enviorments
(as opposed to cold planet), I'd have great problems with it having a
device that lowers star heat. In fact such a race in existance would
make me have a problem with any future 3rd party race that could
decrease star heat.

Place the bulk of your colonists on the hotest star heat planets.
Your home world should be one of these with a kind script master.

Have master changed to give the Solarian HW a star heat >90 world if
it doesn't already do this.

Problem solved.

The bulk of your colonists stay on your home world until such time as
you find and conquer another star heat 90+ world.

> In addition, we are hoping no 3rd party race is ever approved that
> would allow heating up stars. (Making them colder is okay, that just
> makes them #1 enemy of the Solarians.)

If I remember right, the Mivorari had a device that could adjust star
heat. But their homepage seems to be down, so I can't check.

There is a proposed race that lowers star heat (by "mining" stars), the
Wanderers of Jyn:
http://mavo.rhavenn.net/cluster/planets/WanderersofJyn/index.html

Scytale

A very good farming world with star heat at and below 30 for the
Solarains is identical to a vey good farming world with no natives for
the Borg:
Bring in enough colonists to run the farms, do not expect the colony to
grow to that level on its own.

Mean while the bulk of the population stays on the HW in both cases for
growth.

On the Mirovari, their propsed device that heats up stars is one of the
reasons the race needs tweaked. It's in general too strong. And as a
matter of fact, I don't think that a controlled change of star
temperature should be given to the Mirovari. Instead, their scarry
weapon should triger a nova / super nova. (an uncontrolled change.)
Just make it an expensive weapon.

It would be nice to do that, but then the solorians would only live in
their homeworld, because there is *only one* type of star that can have
star heat above 90, the blue giant with a heat range from 74 to 94
(there isn't stars with heat over 94), and there are almost none starts
of this kind. I have just checked out the four games i'm playing and i
have found only 2 stars with star heat above 90. ¡Only 2 stars in 4
games! ¡Only 2 in almost 1000 stars checked out!

The new solorians grow rate changes the race from an high grow rate
race to a *really* low rate race like the Evil empire.

I think the old solorian grow rate need to be reduced, but also I think
that the new grow rate is stupid. (I don't know -and i haven't found-
the word I want in english, so I used stupid even when it isn't exactly
what i want to mean, I don't want to offend anyone)

Nyh

Thought the point was to get more worlds for farming ... ok my mistake!