No DVI signal after installing new GPU

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I upgraded some parts on my computer today (CPU Cooler,GPU, RAM, and PSU). Before I upgraded my computer it worked fine. I was using a Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB on my new Asus VG236H 3D moniter with no problems but when I installed my new MSI GTX 560 ti I'm not getting any DVI signal. The computer turns on a runs fine but no signal. Can someone please help me figure out what the problem is?

Thanks in advance,

My system consist of now:

Asus VG236H 23" 3D 120Hz moniter
Q6600 at 3.0Ghz
4 GB G.Skill DDR2 800 PC2 6400
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr
Antec Earthwatts 750w
Gigabyte P35 DS3R Motheboard

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm assuming that all power cables are connected to the GPU and the GPU is inserted correctly and firmly in the PCIe slot. With the PC running did you try turning on the monitor and then shutting it off to power cycle it several times, I had a similar problem and doing that fixed it.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Yes GPU is connect to PSU and is correctly inserted into the PCIe slot. The fans of the GPU is running but no dvi signal. This is driving me crazy, I can't figure out whats wrong.

I trid turning on and off still no go.

suteck

Distinguished
Have you tried using your old 8800GTS? And also the old memory just to rule those items out? Do you have both 6 pin power plugs plugged into the card? That card requires anywhere from 135w idle to 305w under load. Try removing and reseating it. Which plug are you using? Try each DVI plug, Are you using the MINI HDMI plug?

I would start from scratch first. Put your old equipment back in and boot it. After successfull post start switching out parts one at a time. Start with the PSU, after that try the ram. Once you see those are working properly then plug in the video card. The cpu heatsink shouldn't be making a difference as long as you applied the tim correctly and have the fan plugged into the cpu fan header so you should be able to leave that alone or consider it your first changeout.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I havn't tried using my old 8800 gts because I already sold it along with the PSU and RAM but I tried the 8800 with the new 4 gb G.Skill together with my old PSU and it worked fine.

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
If the speaker connected properly that means your compy is not booting. Try what Suteck said. Leave 1 stick of RAM and try. If no success try another RAM. Your RAM could be the source of problem either not inserted properly or faulty.

suteck

Distinguished
If you have your cpu overclocked you might want to reset all values in bios to default. If you leave out all sticks of memory do you get the beep codes for no memory?, (good for speaker check) I see where you said everything worked fine up until you changed out the psu and card so one of those might be bad. Can you borrow someone's vid card and/or psu ? Or use their machine to plug your new components into ? - one at a time of course. Have you tried hitting the delete key to get into bios? Sometimes that will override some settings or hardware difficulties and give you the bios post. When the machine is powered on and you're not getting any video or anything, you turn it off by pushing the power button correct? Reason I ask is because if you have to hold the button down for 5/6 seconds and then it turns off is sometimes an indication that windows is booting but you're not getting a video signal. As opposed to if you just push the button and it turns off quickly then you are not even getting to post. Which way is that working for you? Have you tried different 6 pin power connectors from the psu? Might be a bad rail
If you want to try other things while you wait for our replies you can follow the link in my sig under the cpu-z banner entitled "http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perfor". If you go through those steps is should eliminate most if not all of the simple overlooked or came undone things that can cause these problems.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to get my old video card and test it to see if it works. And Yes, I have to hold the power button for 3-5 secs for it to turn off. I will try those steps in the link. Tried hitting delete but still no signal. :(

edit: Took out the battery for 5 mins to reset cmos but still same thing.

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Well I got my old gpu back and tested it but still no signal. The fan is on pretty high on the gpu. What could be the problem if its not the video card?

edit: had my brother in law check it out and he pluged in a wire by the cpu fan and got it running somehow. Said it was an extra power or something I don't exactly know what it is. But after it boot up I updated the gpu drivers and played some Dragon Age in 3D then all of a sudden it just powered off and now its not turning on. Shouldn't my Antec 750w Earthwatts be enough to power this?

azniza

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Sorry for triple post but I put my old video card in and took off my sound card and now it runs again. So the problem is my PSU.. How could my Antec Eeartwatts 750w not be able to power my system?

suteck

Distinguished
Sounds like a cause. Had a guy earlier have some video problems and he didn't have enough amps on any rail either. Changed out the PSU and everything worked fine. Gotta read the recommendations when buying new parts. I didn't see that for the card when I was looking around, sorry. Nice catch though!