Computer freezing up during bios loading

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I got this AM2 base board i cannot figure out what the problem is off hand the one thing i can think of right now is maybe an overheating problem. the computer will post will load up os then it will just scatter random characters on the screen.
if i load it up in the bios it does the same thing. as i keep doing it it freezes up more frequently then with a coldboot.
i also have another 775boared that does it too. dont have exact model numbers off hand but i do know there both HP.
In the bios the temps are reading within 120-140F top between the boards which shouldnt be a problem with the cpu at all.
Any thoughts on the issue and what might be overheating?
I am using all onboard nothing upgraded including integrated gpu!
have bare minimal with cpu and 1 stick of ram

Old hp boards can do this; I've had two behave this way. One or both boards may have bad capacitors. Sometimes a board will post fine but windows will fail to load. And if you go to ebay, you'll see a vast majority of these old boards sold for parts only (they don't work anymore). Then you'll know it's best to get a newer board that uses ddr3. The hp ddr3 boards are too expensive; save your money and get a non hp board and get a new windows coa off craigslist if needed.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I agree its sound like a GPU or even a ram issue. Run the memtest boot CD from microsoft.com to make sure its not ram.

It could be a bad capacitor look at the board with a flash light and see if you can find any caps that are bulged, rounded or leaking goo.

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
it uses the onboard i got the am2 name its uses a asus ABM2N-LA with bios 3.06 on coldboot it will boot into bios after a few minutes the whoole bios screen will jumbo up all over the screen

Give it up. I had two of these boards; they're getting old. Spend the time shopping for your next board if you can. Nobody wants to live with issues like you're having. Not worth the headaches. I know; spent six hours on one before I gave it away. Not worth it.

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
well i dont have a job and was planning on using it to upgrade my server since this uses a am2 and my server is running off of a 758 i think.
it was given to me from one of my friends so i dont have no money wqrapped into it so i dont mine briking one but have ot get one working

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
looked a little more closly to the 775 mobo and i found out what its problem might be someone gouged the pcb with a screw driver or somthing but still cant get the AM2 working correctly gonna try to repair broken traces in a bit hope that was the problem