Bottleneck to my rig?

So here's my specs
Intel core 2 quad q9400 @2.66GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz
AMD XFX 6950 stock
and a 750GB HDD 7200 RPM

So my question really is what should I upgrade next? Or what is the bottleneck on this system? Should I go processor or should I get something like a SSD? Opinions, comments?
11 answers Last reply
More about bottleneck
  1. Id say youll see the biggest boost in performace with an SSD. Check out some comparisons between a hard drive and SSD on youtube.
  2. What do you use it for? What monitor and PSU do you have? If its for gaming your next step might not be what you think it is. And if this is a work/production machine I would suggest something else entirely.
  3. 4745454b said:
    What do you use it for? What monitor and PSU do you have? If its for gaming your next step might not be what you think it is. And if this is a work/production machine I would suggest something else entirely.

I use it for gaming, my monitor is 1920 x 1080. I just have one
  4. Don't spend any money until you can update your processor and motherboard to something more recent. IMO what you have will suffice for a while.
  5. And the PSU? Perhaps its time for a good one.

You have a quad, its just not very fast. I'd probably get a good PSU to carry over to the next build, and a good heatsink that might do the same. Make sure it supports not only S775, but 1155 as well. That way when you do upgrade your system, you'll still have the good cooling. Might as well OC your Q9400. If it dies thats the excuse you need to upgrade.
  6. You can easily oc your cpu to 3.2 on stock cooling, so aside from the storage device, I couldn't see any bottleneck is your setup.
  7. I will no longer build a rig for myself without a SSD. It improves the entire user experience just that much.
    Otherwise, unless you can be specific as to what is not performing as well as you'd like, it will be difficult to suggest what might need to be improved. Your CPU, though older, is no slouch and can be easily overclocked as kikireeki suggested; and your GPU is high-end and current. What PSU do you have (brand and model, not just wattage) ?
  8. Onus said:
    I will no longer build a rig for myself without a SSD. It improves the entire user experience just that much.
    Otherwise, unless you can be specific as to what is not performing as well as you'd like, it will be difficult to suggest what might need to be improved. Your CPU, though older, is no slouch and can be easily overclocked as kikireeki suggested; and your GPU is high-end and current. What PSU do you have (brand and model, not just wattage) ?

I have a corsair 650W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair_650_w-_-17-139-005-_-Product
  9. Your PSU is good then, for even the fastest single cards. I don't think your GPU is likely to be the problem. What is not performing as well as you would like?
  10. Onus said:
    Your PSU is good then, for even the fastest single cards. I don't think your GPU is likely to be the problem. What is not performing as well as you would like?

well, nothing right now, I'm just wondering what I should upgrade next in the future.
  11. Well, right now a SSD will definitely make a difference in how responsive your computer feels. Otherwise, save your money. You have a high-end GPU, so most likely you'd be looking for a CPU / mobo / RAM upgrade, but no time soon. If everything performs well now, wait until either something doesn't perform well, you need features available on new mobos (e.g. ports) and don't care to use an expansion card, or you've gotten at least 6-8 years out of your PC, by which time you may have some end-of-life concerns.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Bottleneck Systems Product