Do you shut down your PC when not in use?

Do you shut down your PC when it is not in use?

• Yes - I turn my PC off when it is not in use.

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • No - I leave mine on 24/7.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Simply question. Do you shut your PC off when you go to bed at night or if you do not plan to use it for an extended period of time (6+ hours), or do you leave it running 24/7?

usually put into sleep mode overnight %75 of time
occasionally turn off overnight a couple of times a week

a tower made in the past 5 years or so (Core2Duo or newer)
with energy star rating will consume very little power
in sleep mode
less than a regular 100watt light bulb usually

Mine's up 24/7 running Einstein@Home constantly, loading all four CPU cores plus the GPU with CUDA even when I'm not actively using it. I reboot approximately once a week, and don't power down unless absolutely necessary (hardware upgrades and thunderstorms, mainly).

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
My old Dell I leave running 24/7 and have for 7+ years. My new pc I still baby a little and will typically shut it down while not in use for extended amounts of time.

Back in the "old" days when the Pentium 4 was king (at over 120watts) shutting
down was important
now with Speedstep and CoolnQuiet tech plus lower wattage chips it just isnt necessary
I will turn off my printers and monitors but
from what I understand turning on and off a computer too much isnt really good for it
something about capacitors discharging and a surge when turned on

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My work desktop computer runs 24/7, and I frequently access it remotely when I am not at my office. I have done this with my work computers for slightly over 10 years with no problems (3 different computers). I did this for awhile with my home computer and had a problem with the CRT monitor and the hard drive. The hard drive was a 5.25" ESDI and its bearings sounded like they were starting to wear out.

My home computer is turned off when I don't need it. My strategy is to turn it on when I get ready to use it, and turn it off when I am through with it for the day. I have not had any problems with my computers at home when used this way.

Our computer supplier used to tell me that most of his service calls were to locations where they turned their computers off at night. He thought it was better to leave them running 24/7. With today's equipment I don't personally think there is that much difference, which is why I don't mind turning off my home computer at night. There are pros and cons to both methods and of course YMMV, so choose the method that you like the best for your circumstances.

Do you mean copyrighted movies and music?
I would never do that.....
Unless the Demon came out in me :D

4745454b

Titan
My tower always seems to be doing something. I also leave it on while I'm at work so that I can use Logmein to get access to my files, etc while I'm at work. Some of us use our computers a lot, while others don't. To each his own.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
My rig goes off when not in use.
If it's still downloading while i am not around an auto-shutdown will occur when finished.
Keep it green ;)

Just dual booted 11.04 with Win7 two days ago
I had it as a VM with Virtual box and really liked it

Only issues so far seems to be bad libdvdread4 installation (trouble using DVD::RIp
and I cant get my Hauppage USB TV tuner to work

I have tried MythTV ,Xine ,XawTV ,VLC player and nothing has worked yet

It is fun.
Unity takes some getting used to with its icon dock
Kind of miss Gnome a little but Unity does look pretty cool
Even has window snapping like Win7

Now if I can only figure out how to OC a AMD/ATI card

I did get GKrellM System monitor pretty nice

BTW I do download alot of television show torrents
I figure if I can record them with TV capture or a PVR then I can DL for personal use :)

Very true
I am working on less time on the computer and more
time playing in the park with my daughter
Vampires have better tans than me LOL

I turn off my gaming machine when I am done. My workhorse system and my torrent box both run 24/7 except when I am away on vacation.

All three systems are highly overclocked with SpeedStep enabled.

I see that ago old question has be resurrected.
Myself:
Work laptop using a docking station – 24/7 Updates are pushed at night. Since 2008
Wife’s system, pretty much 24/7 unless she is on vacation and then sometimes it is left on so she can access It from LA.
My computer – On typically 4->6 hrs then Off. Use to remove power from computer as even when powered off there are some circuits that remain on, currently just using the power button to power off.
Have not seen any correlation in failure – NONE of the systems have failed.
Which is better for longevity of system – Do not think it makes a big diff on newer systems. Power On/off/On cycle places much more stress on the components do to high Inrush currents, but leaving on, even in low power condition could result in a failure.

Bottom line: to each his own.

TRENDING THREADS