Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 + i7 2600K ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2010 6:40:36 PM

What would happen to the Intel's integrated GPU if I put GTX 460 on it?

Would it improve its performance? Any better recommendations?

More about : gtx 460 2600k

a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 10:46:06 PM

Intel's graphics are rubbish for gaming. A GTX 460 1gb is about 50x as powerful as the integrated graphics in Intel's chips. The computer wouldn't use the Intel graphics at all, just the 460. For the price ($170ish with a rebate), the 460 1GB version is really pretty powerful.
December 12, 2010 12:10:36 AM

jryan388 said:
Intel's graphics are rubbish for gaming. A GTX 460 1gb is about 50x as powerful as the integrated graphics in Intel's chips. The computer wouldn't use the Intel graphics at all, just the 460. For the price ($170ish with a rebate), the 460 1GB version is really pretty powerful.

Thank you..

I'll use it for Photoshop and After Effects though. And planning to use the integrated first before buying GTX 460 (saving money) :D 
Related resources
December 13, 2010 7:10:03 PM

jryan388 said:

Someone told me that 2600K won't get any benefit from the 460 :??: 

Wondering...
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 1:25:57 AM

^
who told you that?
Just like jryan said above, discrete card is MUCH more powerful than onboard graphic, and NVIDIA card (GTX460) is good for 3D works like Photoshop (CUDA thing). So, for now you can use onboard as temporary and save money to get GTX460. That's worth. :) 
December 14, 2010 2:29:45 AM

wa1 said:
^
who told you that?
Just like jryan said above, discrete card is MUCH more powerful than onboard graphic, and NVIDIA card (GTX460) is good for 3D works like Photoshop (CUDA thing). So, for now you can use onboard as temporary and save money to get GTX460. That's worth. :) 

Someone from a forum next door. Infact I am not convinced :??:  But you know, I'm a noob.

But after his comment I went to do some more research and found out that Photoshop and After Effects will not benefit from CUDA. Neither from SLi. They only use Open GL.
The only Adobe application that get benefit from CUDA is Premiere.

There are a lot of miss understanding in the internet.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-b...

Then I discovered not all nVidia card are supported by Adobe. And they have many compatibility problems as well..
Thus, for CUDA I would choose GTX 470 than 460. The former is supported officially with no problems. But then, it's not relevant any more as the only thing I care about is Open GL.

Based on this SB graphic performance, which GPU would improve SB (concentrating in Open GL) in your opinion?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...
Anonymous
December 17, 2010 12:30:50 PM

I myself have a gtx460, for the money it is an unbelievably good graphics card and as for premiere pro cuda compatibility, there is a work around that will utilise the card's cuda capabilities in the same way as the compatible cards( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4ERi5t_Eo ).
Also whoever told you that the gtx460 would not benefit your system is wrong, as already mentioned it is far more powerful than the on-board graphics!
!