EricWilliams250

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I have some friends who casually play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on PC. I tried to play, but my integrated graphics just won't cut it. I am looking for just a cheap card to be able to play this game. I don't plan on extending my PC gaming any further, I just want to be able to play this game with some friends for a while. I know very little on this topic, so help would be appreciated. I don't want to spend TOO much money, just get a card for the game. I have one pci-e x16 slot in my computer.

thank you

EricWilliams250

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I have an HP Pavilion TV PC. I don't know the model number number because I am not at my house. My monitor is a 19' Samsung 953bw syncmaster. As for the budget, I don't really know how much graphics cards cost so I can't say.

How much are you willing to spend? $100, $200, $300, $400, $500 US? Give us a price range.

Give us a price range. I could recommend the highest end video cards currently available like the nVidia GeForce GTX 580 for $525 or an AMD Radeon HD 5970 for $500 but the power supply in your HP Pavillion wouldn't be able to provide enough power to them and they may very likely be beyond your budget.

Tell us if you would be willing to upgrade your power supply, if necessary, to accommodate a new graphics card. You will need to budget for this as well ($60 to $80 US maybe?).

Read more closely I said "I could recommend ...", I didn't say "I will recommend ...".

The OP didn't define his definition of cheap. If he would have specified under $100 then there wouldn't be any speculation.

Or you could have tried to be helpful rather than bringing up things that are obviously of no relevance. A request for a cheap card for occasional COD4 with friends on a low res monitor isn't exactly a tricky question.

EricWilliams250

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Thanks, both of those Radeon HD cards fit into what I was looking to spend. The power supply in my HP actually died already, so I have replaced it with a mediocre 630w. I was looking around at some cards myself though, and thought that maybe since I am already buying to get a fairly more expensive one so I can play some other shooters like BFBC2, Black Ops, etc. The GTX 460 for $199 and the 1GB 5670 for about $100 both look like nice cards for the task. Any thoughts on those?

EricWilliams250

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
The GTX 460 looks like the best option. While I don't have an awesome PSU, mine should more than enough to power this card. I have a 630W with a -12v@22A and a +12v@22A for approximately 30A combined. I read that the 460 only requires a 450w with a 12v@24A. I don't see an issue with this, but then again I am not that knowledgeable on the subject.

EricWilliams250

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Thanks again, I will go with the 768MB version because I don't see the need to update my monitor anytime soon. However, I have purchased some EVGA products in the past and they have been of great quality, so I was wondering if spending the little extra money here would be worth it. The Asus looks like a nice card, but I also want one that is going to be reliable and long lasting.