Socket 1366 and the future

Hello forum,

I'd like to 'pick your brains' a little.

I am currently using the following setup:

*Intel i7 920 d0 at stock, or when needed overclocked to 3.8ghz [180*21, 1.28v idle, droop to 1.232 at load. BIOS set to 1.335 IIRC --all from CPU-Z while running GUI], EIST and Hyperthreading enabled
*GTX 470 at stock or 788/1950/1.037v
*6GB RAM 3*2 -- Crucial Ballistix
*Gigabyte EX58-UD3r 1.6
*1 WD Black drive [boot] 1TB/7200/64MB
*1 Spinpoint 1TB
*Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W
* iiyama 1900*1080 Monitor
*Cooler Master Storm Scout case
*Zalman CNPS-10x Extreme

So - The questions are:

What will be the fastest 1366 processor produced?

Though the above setup, especially when overclocked, is fast enough for most things, I do fid it dips down to the 40FPS level with Crysis and Assassins Creed, and I am looking to keep playing on this for a while yet. Always play at max settings for everything, though I find AA is not always an improvement.... So, yeah, I'll want to max the x58 board with a kick-ass 6 or 8 core chip in a year or two, will there be a 6 core 4GHz stock, or some other worthwhile upgrade available in the future? Or an Intel Overdrive Module ;)

Is the best course for upgrading the graphics, to add a second 470?

That was to be the plan, super easy power bump when the 470 is dirt cheap, but in my haste to secure the case and PSU combo, I kind of forgot that, and now I'm not sure 700W would be enough for a 200W 6 core overclocked-future-chip-to-be, and a pair of 470s, even at stock. I can of course, also change the PSU, but is that any cheaper than buying two lower-power consumption cards in the future...?

When will a 160/180 GB SSD be a solid, value speed boot? LIke £150 value!

The reason for these questions: I am posting here as the x58 seems to have oodles of chipset bandwidth, so I figured this platform was a solid future bet when I built the machine 1yr ago, but now I'm worried there's going to be little in the way of plug-in upgrades available... :( And I've just watched the Unreal Samaritan Video on YouTube. I want to play games with graphics that good, or better, in the future. Whenever the bloody console manufacturers release the next-gen machines, that is.... /rant

Thanks for any input,

GfS
9 answers Last reply
More about socket 1366 future
  1. I don't think Intel will bother with any more 1366 processors. The 990X is plenty fast but also damn expensive. As time passes and Intel move on to Sandy Bridge-E / Ivy Bridge generation of CPU's, the X58's will probably become cheaper.
  2. Really, that's gonna be it?

Any other comments on the setup? What's the overclock like in terms of speed:voltage. Max temps are about 58 degrees C
  3. you already have a great CPU, even better when overclocked. Its not worth upgrading until intel 8 core ivy bridges are here. and even then its not necessary your current cpu should max everything. a vid card upgrade is the only worth while thing for your system . Unfortunately intel love changing sockets a lot, more and more frequently.
  4. I agree its unlikely intel will release any better x58 CPUs. A second 470 most likely makes most sense for a GPU upgrade as long as you can keep 2 cool enough. No idea when SDDs will come down that much in price I think it will be a slow move down to that price.
  5. iam2thecrowe said:
    you already have a great CPU, even better when overclocked. Its not worth upgrading until intel 8 core ivy bridges are here.

Even then it's not going to matter for games since there aren't too many games that can use 4 cores much less 8 cores.

8 cores should be great for video encoding though.
  6. gofasterstripes said:

So - The questions are:

What will be the fastest 1366 processor produced?

The fastest LGA1366 chip produced as far as clock speed is concerned is the very limited-quantity Xeon X5698, a 4.4 GHz dual-core with 12 MB of L3 cache. The fastest as far as total throughput is concerned will be either the existing the i7-990X/Xeon W3690/Xeon X5690 or chips that are one clock speed bin above that. LGA1366 is pretty much done and will be replaced by LGA2011 in six months or so.

Quote:
    Is the best course for upgrading the graphics, to add a second 470?

That was to be the plan, super easy power bump when the 470 is dirt cheap, but in my haste to secure the case and PSU combo, I kind of forgot that, and now I'm not sure 700W would be enough for a 200W 6 core overclocked-future-chip-to-be, and a pair of 470s, even at stock. I can of course, also change the PSU, but is that any cheaper than buying two lower-power consumption cards in the future...?

You could also keep the same PSU and swap the 470 for a single more powerful card like a GeForce 580. That will probably cost about the same considering you won't have to upgrade the PSU.

Quote:
    When will a 160/180 GB SSD be a solid, value speed boot? LIke £150 value!

SSDs do have a noticeable impact on performance today, as long as they are used as OS/boot/application drives. You probably won't need a 160-180 GB unit unless you plan to install a ton of applications/games. 60/80/100 GB ought to be plenty large enough for an OS/boot/application drive.

Quote:
    The reason for these questions: I am posting here as the x58 seems to have oodles of chipset bandwidth, so I figured this platform was a solid future bet when I built the machine 1yr ago, but now I'm worried there's going to be little in the way of plug-in upgrades available... :( And I've just watched the Unreal Samaritan Video on YouTube. I want to play games with graphics that good, or better, in the future. Whenever the bloody console manufacturers release the next-gen machines, that is.... /rant

Intel likes to change sockets about as quickly as a spoiled teenage girl changes her wardrobe. You have some room to upgrade your i7-920 as you can put a Gulftown-based unit in there and get more cores and more clock speed. It's not an enormous upgrade, but it would provide at least a moderate boost in performance. The prices on the top LGA1366 CPUs are ridiculous at the moment and won't get to be in the realm of reasonable for a couple of years. If you're already looking to upgrade an i7-920, my guess is you won't want to wait that long and you may be better-served to just to ahead and buy a new system with a new board and new socket. Just keep in mind that you will very likely NOT be able to do a significant upgrade on whatever machine you decide to get since Intel's sockets change so quickly. Figure at best you'll be in the situation you are in now- you can upgrade to a die-shrunk version of the CPU you already have with maybe a slightly higher clock speed and core count, but NOT any chips with a different microarchitecture.
  7. I'm in the same boat as you:

i7-920 @ 3.6 GHz, GTX 570, 12GB ram, Vertex 2 120GB SSD boot (got it for $150USD off a Newegg sale), and 2x WD 640GB in Raid 0 for data.

Notice this article:

http://www.techpowerup.com/144408/Leaked-Roadmap-Reveals-Two-Lines-of-Enthusiast-Sandy-Bridge-E-Processors.html

Quote:
    Other short-term changes given out by that slide includes:

New non-XE Core i7 980 "Gulftown" LGA1366 six-core chip clocked at 3.33 GHz, with 12 MB L3 cache, 6.4 GT/s QPI, very soon, in Q2 2011
    Core i7 995X Extreme Edition in Q3 2011
    Non-XE Core i7 990 around the same time as 995X
    New Core i7 >2600K, new LGA1155 chip faster than 2600K in Q3
    <b>Core i7 970 could get more affordable in Q3</b>

I'd wait until Q3 and see what happens with the 970. It would be really nice if they could unlock a quad-core, like an i7-960X, but I doubt we'll see that, as it destroys any incentive to move up in price to an unlocked six core.
  8. Yeah, there are already two new sockets (LGA 1356 and LGA 2011) on the horizon, so LGA 1366 is mostly done.

LGA 1356:
    TDP 95, 80, <80W
    Triple-channel memory
    --(supports 1600 w/ one DIMM per channel or 1333 w/ two DIMMs per channel of 1.5v spec memory)
    --(supports 1333 w/ one DIMM per channel or 1066 w/ two DIMMs per channel of 1.35v spec memory)
    --(6 DIMMs per socket max)
    Up to 24 PCIe Gen3 lanes
    Up to one QPI link (for dual-socket boards)
    Uses Patsburg PCH

LGA 2011:
    TDP 150, 130, 95, 80, <80W
    Quad-channel memory
    --(supports 1600 w/ one DIMM per channel or 1333 w/ two DIMMs per channel or 800 w/ three DIMMs per channel of 1.5v spec memory)
    --(supports 1333 w/ one DIMM per channel or 1066 w/ two DIMMs per channel of 1.35v spec memory)
    --(12 DIMMs per socket max)
    Up to 40 PCIe Gen3 lanes
    Up to two QPI links (for dual-socket or quad-socket boards)
    Uses Patsburg PCH
  9. Thanks for all your input, I will take this into consideration [and keep my eyes on ebay for a 990x or 980x for the next 5 years ;) ].

Take care guys.

GfS
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs