Sign in with
Your question

Issues with dvi adapter dual display when disconnected

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2010 9:46:53 PM

Hi,

i have a dual display dvi card but use a vga-to-dvi adapter to connect both displays.

i just disconnnected 1 vga-to-dvi adapter from one of the ports which i believe serves as the primary display.

When i re-connected the adapter back into the port both screens did not display. I had to physically restart the machine and reconfigure all display settings over again.

I initially thought it had gone to sleep(probably did?) but i'm thinking otherwise. I run windows XP. Pls help me out here.
a c 545 U Graphics card
December 11, 2010 9:58:01 PM

What is the brand and model of the computer, graphics card, and displays?

What Operating System and version are you running?
m
l
December 11, 2010 11:55:18 PM

I have the below config:

Desktop - OmniTeq | Core 2 Quad Q9400 | XP 2002 SP2
Graphics - GeForce 9500 GT
Display - Samsung SyncMaster 710N x 2

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 545 U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 2:26:44 AM

The graphics card is suppose to read the Extended display identification data (EDID) from the display's PROM/EEPROM.

The EDID includes information such as the manufacturer's name and serial number, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

The EDID PROM should still be readable by the graphics card even if the display itself is turned off.

It appears the graphics card couldn't re-identify the display after it was disconnected from the primary port and reconnected.

The DVI-I to D-Sub VGA adapters, that you are using, only passes the analog signals component of the DVI-I signals through to the D-Sub 15-pin VGA connector side that your displays use. The graphics card appears to be primarily designed for digitally connected displays.

It seems that the graphics card and the graphics card driver aren't dealing with the disconnecting and reconnecting of analog connected displays properly.

When you reconnected the display on the primary port did you try powering off or unplugging the display's power cord and then reconnecting the power cord and turning it back on?
m
l
December 19, 2010 2:59:45 AM

Thanks so much for that. Yes these screens are analogue vga flat panels. We are moving to more recent hardware soon.

Appreciate your advice and guidance. Problem solved.
m
l
!