Your question

Subpar graphics performance Radeon 5830

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Games
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 11, 2010 11:39:14 PM

I have an ATI Radeon 5830. My problem is that in every somewhat demanding game that I try to play my graphics start lagging insanely, and some games won't even boot at all. I have updated my graphics drivers, made sure the card is not overheating (running at a cool 33C right now), and I have not overclocked the card in any way. When I first booted up my system today, the graphics in the games were fine, but after exiting the games and using the internet for about 30 minutes, I was back to the same problem. I turned off the PC for about 4 hours and after a fresh start it was still acting badly.

More about : subpar graphics performance radeon 5830

December 12, 2010 3:34:17 AM

Might as well start with the obvious and reinstall the latest drivers from the ATI website: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

If that doesn't help, download and run GPU-Z and make sure the bus interface is running at x8 or x16 as it should. If it's not, try reseating your card.

If that doesn't work, check windows update for any windows updates.
m
l
December 12, 2010 12:05:51 PM

^+1
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2010 7:48:29 PM

Bus interface is "PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ x 16 2.0. Confirmed that the driver version was the latest (catalyst 10.11 for 64 bit Win 7, atiumdag 8.791.0.0). All windows updates were previously installed.

Yesterday I took some additional steps to make sure my PC was not compromised. I did virus scans with AVG and Malwarebytes, as well as doing a defrag, and even doing a system restore from about 10 days ago. After leaving the PC off for about 16 hours, the issue was immediately apparent upon booting up today.
m
l
December 12, 2010 8:19:51 PM

The reason I suggested you install the latest drivers, is the drivers could have been corrupted or they may have not been from ATI's site. Even if they are supposed to be the lastest drivers, I'd recommend reinstalling the lastest regardless. I may suggest wiping them clean with a driver sweap as well.
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:17:49 AM

also, latest drivers are not always the best, try older drivers too. Then you can say, it may not be the gfx card, maybe its the CPU/hard drive/RAM/motherboard/power supply. Start with running HDD diagnostics and MEMTEST86+ for the ram. Also get a program like HWmonitor to check voltages and temperatures.
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:50:38 AM

I uninstalled the graphics and sound drivers, then wiped all graphics and sound drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode, then replaced them with the newest ones from ATI's website and Realtek's site respectively. I still had the same issue.

Since I have not made any changes to my graphics card/sound card drivers in the last month or so, I am beginning to think it is an issue with something else. I know for a fact that my power supply is relatively old (4-5 years) while the RAM/CPU/Motherboard are all about 6 months old.

I honestly have had no experience using programs like HDD diagnostics, Memtest86+, and HWmonitor before. What should I be looking for? If it helps I can upload test results.
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:25:16 AM

What is the Watts on that PSU? That was going to be my next thing to check. It's very likely a 4-5 year old PSU wouldn't even have had enough Watts to begin with, as systems usually didn't need so much power back then.
m
l
December 13, 2010 5:52:19 AM

600 watts. I have never had a problem with it before, but is there a way to tell if the power supply is in fact the problem? Keep in mind I used this computer for about 6 months with no problems like this, so the power supply was ok for awhile.
m
l