Memory regularly filling up completely

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hi!
For past few weeks I have had a very annoying experience. Regularly my memory fills up entirely and entire system becomes very slow (ie maximizing a windows takes more than 10 seconds). I take a look at task manager and there is no process taking up that much of memory, even all combined dont come even close, which is very weird. Did anyone have a similar experience in the past and how did you solve it? Could it be a memory leak or a virus? Thank you for help.
http://shrani.si/f/17/hi/3oEAkAin/1/untitled.png

-------------------------------------------------------------
Videocard: GeForce 8600 GT
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev1.6
Memory: Corsair 6GB TR3X6G1600C8D 1333MHz
PSU: Corsair 750W
-------------------------------------------------------------

G

Check with task manager what process is using a lot of memory. Do you have a lot of programs running in the system tray?
Do you have page file disabled? If you disabled it, it is best to enable it again(if you're not using an ssd).

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
No process is using that much memory, it probably didnt report entire memory space its using :S No, actually, not a lot, just a few, most of them are necessary for system (sound card's cntrl pnl, nvidia cntrl pnl, mouse, ...). I havent touched anyting in settings so pagefile is probably still on. And no, Im not using an ssd, just 1.5 TB HDD.

Actually right now almost 3 Gigs of my RAM are used, and if I count how much memory processes in Task Manager are using it doesnt come even close to that (I disabled superfetch) :\

in task manager make sure you select "show processes for all users" and enable the peak memory usage column and take a look at the highest usage. If theres NOTHING I wanna say virus running something hidden. if you are using any window gadgets try disabling them. they are technically not supported in windows 7 and I have had official ones take up gigs in memory do to memory leaks.

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Yeah, I already did that, almost a week ago there was process svchost.exe which was increasing in size with time until it reached 200MB, but then I disabled superfetch and the process seems to be normal. Unfortunately the problem still persists. I have scanned my computer with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and Microsoft Security Essentials and they havent detected any viruses. Oh man, what do I do, I cant use my computer like this, waiting 10 seconds just to open start menu is very counterproductive >.<

Will try closing sidebar next time this happens and see if it will get better after that.

You say in past few weeks... what has changed? If you have done all you say you have - it looks like something has a memory leak... so what did you update a couple of weeks ago? could be an app update.. or a driver update? can you do a system restore to a point prior to the issue arrising?

I presume this happens after X amount of time.. if you do a reboot of your PC - how long does it take before you start to suffer?

If you start your PC in safe mode... do you still suffer?

Do a few more checks and let us know.
Cheers

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I chaged GPU, sold my Radeon 5850 and temporarily installed GeForce 8600. Could that be the cause?
When I reboot, it usually starts quickly (minute) or doesnt start for quite some time, can be half an hour or more. I noticed that after I disabled superfetch it usually doesnt happen at boot. But I did notice that when I put my PC under more load its more likely to happen :S

Hmm, safe mode is a good idea.

G

Do you have an ssd? If not, don't disable stuff like superfetch.

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Do you have an ssd? If not, don't disable stuff like superfetch.
I had to try to see if thats the cause of the problems.

PS: Heres the Task Manager while RAM is fully used: http://shrani.si/f/1q/Ov/14f66iom/untitled.png (Chrome, Adobe Reader and NP++ dont have an impact as this happens also when they are not running)
Tried closing sidebar.exe while this was happening and there was no change.

A few minutes later RAM dropped to 23% and everything went back to normal (but my PC was unuseful for 10 minutes).

How/why can you say "dont have an impact as this happens when they are not running" :eek:
For me - I would be asking exactly.... " WTF.... why is Chrome in the list so many times and taking up so much memory?" I assumed you might say you had 30 chrome session going (which would be a crazy thing anyway)... but even stranger if you are seeing the picture you posted "when they are not running"!!!

For me... next step would be to uninstall Chrome... and see what happens. Its an obvious check - and you can easily reinstall.

Let us know how you get on
Cheers

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I know that when you saw that image you taught immediately that chrome is suspicious since it has so many processes. Thing is, I have been using chrome for almost two years and I never had problems with it neither did I update it in the last month (its only possible if it updated covertly) and there were many occasions when all my RAM was eaten and Chrome was not started even once since system boot. I dont know, its possible, but unlikely. There are so many instances of chrome because I have 25 tabs opened but usually(before problems started) I have had even more and RAM was never the problem.

Is it possible that Chrome can eat all RAM even when it hasnt been started?

Ahh, OK... perhaps I missunderstood

I thought you were saying that you get this pattern of processes and memmory use when chrome is not running... which would be something strange (i.e. why you seeing so many Chrome processes when it is not running). I presume you mean that even when Chrome is not running... your mem still fills up?

In that case - I guess you see a the same picture (i.e. lots of processes... using lots of memory... but just no Chrome)?

However, you need break your problem down... in the picture you did post....was the number of Chrome sessions sensible? at that time - were you running LOADS of Chrome activities? If I look at my system... I can explain all the processes going on.. I see big memoty use from my antivirus (its scanning atm) ... and the Catalyst Control Centre... lots from windows and a few bits and bobs... .But nothing like the screen shot you posted... not many browser processes.... so was it sensible to see so many Chrome? or give us a screen shot of you out of memory - and no Chrome?

I dont use Chrome - so cant validate, but IIRC - it does do silent updates (its why Chrome is attributed with quick penetration of newest versions).

So....
1. How did you get on when you used your system in safe mode? you said it a good idea - but have give us no feedback?
2. Somehow ... eliminate Chrome as an issue.... I would uninstall.... and get back to us (may be screenshot with your mem filled up.... bit no Chrome?)

Cheers

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

No no, I tried closing chrome then and all of its processes were gone, but memory didnt drop even 1% :) I was running 2 youtube videos (which were already loaded), the rest was more or less ordinary web pages like forums, OC tutorials,...

It is generally known that chrome opens separate process for every tab so that if one tab crashes all the rest are still working, so Id say chrome must have had at least 26 processes. ATM I have 21 tabs opened and I can count 23 processes belonging to Chrome, and memory is at 38.44%

In safe mode nothing has happened, perhaps it was just lucky chance that at the time nothing happened, yesterday it happened after 45 minutes, but sometimes its happening all the time :S

Okay, if you really think Chrome could be the problem I will uninstall it.
..............................................................................................................................................................................................
Oh man, I just remembered something when I saw this:
untitled.png

I remember MSE giving me warnings about java. Could it be?
untitled.png

But that only happens when I have NetBeans opened, which wasnt many times when the RAM eating happened.

G

Quarantine it and run netbeans and see if you have any problems. If no problems than remove it.

Googled and its a java exploit and its supposed to run when the web browser is open but since it ran when you opened an IDE i'm not sure.

But this mos tlikely wont be the problem. Also try updating all your java stuff.

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I already clicked remove every time it asked me (it asks many times) but it seems to come back somehow :\ I mentioned it because I dont remember it happening before my trouble with RAM began.

Oh yes, another thing I remembered: I installed Eclipse and Android SDK on 23.12. But I dont see how this could cause memory leaks since I didnt really use it much.

Seriously - you are "all over the place".... you are not looking at your problem in a structured and logical way and each post from you just throws in more info which shoul dhave been included up front.... and is now contradictory or at least raises some obvious questions..... which you seem to fail to appreciate and so dont answer.

You seem to have way to much going on.... you need simplify your issue to help isolate the problem. I did ask about going back to a restore point prior to when yuo had issues... you have not answeed... but then seem to put forwad a constant stream of "oh i just remembered... i installed <a whole load of apps or changes>"

you seem to have some basic issues... apps "seem to come back somehow".... WTF???.... you need get a grip on your system. How the hell can you expect us to know whats going on with your system when we are remote and cant see.... when you can see, but seem to have no idea or control?

I'm out on this one... good luck.
Cheers

Terraviper-5

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Allright, look, sorry for my behaviour, I asked about my problem here on the forum because I have A LOT of work for my college and have very little time to play around this problem, but at the same time this problem is slowing my work for college down (because I need my computer) and hoped someone had a similar issue and could shed some light on this matter so that it could be resolved quickly, I know that you were trying to do was more thorough, better way of solving problem but I have so much work I dont know where my head is :S (if you are/were in the college you probably know how it is when exams start). Since I was wrong and this cannot be resolved quickly Ill just have to wait until after the exams and do a clean reinstall.

Thanks again, and I admit, it was me who is incooperative, and I am sorry for that, but currently I have no choice.

PS: Your "all over the place" metaphor was quite fitting :\