XFX 9800gt Overheating

What's the ideal temperature for a 9800gt? Mine idles at ~71C with the fan at 100%, and runs at ~105C under load. Right now it's 84C with the fan at 50%, all according to EVGA Precision. It's not overclocked, 600/1500/900. I have two 80mm exhaust fans in the back of my case, an 80mm intake on the side, another 80 intake in that front, and lastly a final 80 intake on the top.
Yeah, I don't think it should be operating at boiling point. Is there anything that I could do to cool it down without spending much money?
4 answers Last reply
More about 9800gt overheating
  1. the 9800GT run hot (i owned one) but they should top out at 84c, not idle there.

make sure the video card's fan is clear of any dust. re-seat the heat sink if further temp issues arise.

as for your fan set up. i would leave the front fan an intake, two rear fans as exhaust.

change the top fan to an exhaust. drop the side fan, i find most side fans actually increase temp rather then drop it, especially smaller ones.
  2. how long have you had the card ? I bet you need to clean it.
  3. Okay, I just cleaned it and did as you advised with the top fan, Mr. Ct. Right now it's idling at 70C with the fan at 30%. That's better than before, at least.

I've had it since Christmas, 2008, Mr. Shells.
  4. Best answer selected by HoboBob24.
  5. When you cleaned the card did you take the heatsink all of the way off ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Fan Temperature Graphics