Can't boot no matter what I do

johnnykanoo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello,
First I would like to say I am not very knowledgeable in computers. Everythign I have learned so far has been an attempt to fix my computer, but I am over my head and I need help.

I have an HP p6404y desktop
mobo is pegatron M2N78-LA
processor AMD Phenom II x4 820
HDD Western Digital WD10EADS
DVD drive supermulti (SATA)

Okay here's the problem. My computer froze while I was using Windows 7. I had to press and hold the power button in order to get it to shut down. Then when I went to restart it, it wouldn't. At this point I can't remeber the exact problem.

So I took my hard drive out and backed up the 500gigs of photos and movies and stuff and I had the bright idea to "start fresh" Well first I tried a recovery disk for win7 to no avail. Then I decided I would erase the HDD and start fresh.

So I did and after some trial and error I realized I needed to format and partition the hard drive. At this point the computer would not boot anything at all, unless I reset cmos.

So somehow I decided to run winme ms-dos so I could use fdisk but that would freeze and took forever without getting past 0%

So then I read that GPARTED would be a good way to set up my HDD so I ran that and it seemed to do its thing.

Then when I try to boot win7 I get
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I then kept reading that my MBR is corrupt or missing so I find mbrfix.exe and I try to boot that but I get the same type of error.

I try to run FDBASE in order to get to dos so I can run or start mbrfix but I get nothing

The dvd drive runs for a second or two than I get stuck on the beginning hp screen.

If I turn the computer off and back on it will remain frozen on that screen.

The only way I can proceed is to reset the cmos by unplugging the computer and pulling th battery for a couple minutes.

Please anyone I need help. I think I am on the right track with the boot manger thingy but I can't get the computer to do anything. Incidently I do have a cradle and I am able to read files and work on my HDD from my netbook. I would be so super greatfull if you guys/gals can point me in the right direction.

Also it is important to note that my bios does pick up my dvd drive and my HDD and the boot order is dvd than HDD. Also noteworthy is that I cannot get to bios unless I reset cmos than I can get there by pressing F10.

Thanks in advance for any help, John

PS sorry if I am in the wrong category.

Hello johnnykanoo;

Making yourself a LIVE CD (bootable CD) with some basic tools seems like a good first step.
You'll want to see what is up with the partitions you've created. It might something as simple as no partition is set as Primary. You probably realize by now it wasnt actually necessary to partition the disk to begin with?

johnnykanoo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Making yourself a LIVE CD (bootable CD) with some basic tools seems like a good first step.
You'll want to see what is up with the partitions you've created. It might something as simple as no partition is set as Primary. You probably realize by now it wasnt actually necessary to partition the disk to begin with?

Actually I have made a copy of Ultimate boot cd, gparted,fdbase,mbrfix, and winme dos. My problem is none of them will boot except the winme when it feels like it. I will look into the active partition again. I am pretty sure it is there now and I do realize I never needed to mess with that in the first place.

johnnykanoo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Well I was excited to try the windows preinstallation environment but when I go to boot I get the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot devices and press a key"

So I guess I am right where I started