Im looking at upgrading my video card but lost

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
OK I have a xfx black gtx 260 oc'd high. I was wanting to do one 27" screen but herd it was better to get 3 24" screens for eyefintiy. I have a amd 955 black oc'd to 3.9 gigs a core. with a asus cross hair 4 formula great board no sli. I have always had nvidia and before that 3dfx. the reason im thinking about eyefinity is i like star craft 2 and seeing the hole map would be cool.

I can't sli so i could never get more than 2 monitors with nvidia now. So I have only bad things about amd drivers and ati problems. But if i was to go amd witch one would be best for me. the only game i play right now on pc is starcraft 2 but i some times play wow.

witch one of these?

gtx 580 with 27 " monitor since i can do 3 or more.

5870 crossfire with 3 24" screens

6870 crossfire with screens

6950 or 70 line with screens.

i would like to stay around maxx of 399 per card only go above it for a gtx 580 since i can only have one.

will i loose any thing in game with out haven phyisx?

i would like it to play 1920x1080 or the best you can get with 3 monitors.

Newegg is my fav store.

dec 21 is when im going to buy the first card.

An HD6870 crossfire will surely be the best performance you can get for now. However ATI's newest cards (HD6950 and HD6970) are coming out Dec. 15'th. Why not wait to see what performance they offer?

As for drivers; I just upgraded my HD4850 to an HD6850. The driver-process was extremely smooth; uninstall old drivers (rebot), install new drivers (reboot), install 10.10e hotfix (reboot), done. I have not had a single error.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Im not seeling my crosshair board for sli. I will be going with 6870 Is 1 gig enough memory for eyefinity? Will it use my seconds card memory at all or is it only 1 gig of ram with 2 cards in crossfire?

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I am an eyefinity user. First of all, if you want to play starcraft 2 online, you will be banned because you will need a community developed utility and blizzard consider that a hack. Refer to widescreengamingforums.com for more info.

Secondly, I suggest you wait and get a single 6970 2GB card. This way you'll have 2 GB of video ram which is important if you plan to max out games at the massive resolutions of EF, you'll get less headaches (no CF) and it will leave you with some room in the future should you want to add another 6970 or even 6990 when the drivers issued get ironed out.
If you are in real hurry to get the graphics setup now, go for 2 6870s or 6850s 2GB
cards, but I can't find them on newegg, they may not be out yet!

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Soo no eyefinity shity. show i want that 27 to make it look bigger right? Ok soo im going to see what's out on the 21 first when i buy. Its either the 6970 or gtx 580 since I dont really need crossfire since im only going 1 screen. any other reason to go with amd and not nvidia i know what im getting with nvidia i don't know if it will look the same as it dose now with amd.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
If you get a large screen you won't get a large field of vision in games, it will see the same area of the game (or map in SC2) just enlarged. As long as the screen is 16:9 you will get the largest FOV possible with one screen. But going to Ef, you get triple the FOV and that's why I preferred EF over a single large (37") HDTV. Too bad it's not allowed in SC2.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I did read that but my main game is starcraft. So how long are we talking before they let eyefinity? Where are some good places to read up on pros and cons of hdtv lcd use as pc gaming monitor? I have a sony 40" 1080p with 120hz it only has vga pc hook up but i could use the hdmi plug. Is that a good enough one?

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Im not paying the 595 prices plus i have a crossfire board and would like to try it out some day. Right now im thinking baout using my sony lcd for my pc and the amd 6970 can probly handle that and get a Mitsubishi WD65638 for my new tv for watching movies. I love my sony but shes not big enough for movies.

Did you want to put two 200W+ chips on one board? Dual-Fermi will most likely come in dual GTX560's, which won't be faster than the HD6990, which should consist of a minimum of dual-HD6950.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Will damn i had to wait till monday to buy a 6970 and lost the one i wanted the asus. Im buying a card tomarrow and was wondering withc one will be better made msi vs gigabyte. msi claims it uses solids caps. Dose gigabyte make better video cards? and use solid caps on there cards? I will be buying a upgraded cooling heatsink when they come out i dont like the factory cooler on these cards no way for them to breath.

Embra

Distinguished

Both are good, I like Asus and Sapphire as well.