dr_explodoh

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I have a strange problem with my computer.

It began a while ago, if I played a video game or watched a movie, it would work fine for a short time. But after a little while my computer would crash. (The more demanding the graphics, the faster the problem would happen). Black screen and static in the speakers, no response. So I would reset the computer, and everything would be fine unless I played a video or game.
After a few weeks however I couldn't even turn on the computer, at start up everything would checkerboard.

I figured it was my graphics card.

Replaced it with a new card, and everything seems to be working fine. Ran a few benchmarks, everything is running smooth.

I just tried to play a game for the first time... CRASH!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

dr_explodoh

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Situation update:

So I thought - "maybe I'm just over reacting to this whole mess. Just start the game again on lower settings and see how it does. Probably just a simple tuning issue."

Wrong.

The game froze, not black screen and speaker static this time. Just frozen screen with normal sound.

So I restarted the computer, and now when it starts, it is asking for a boot disk.

Anybody have an idea?

dr_explodoh

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I reset my computer several times, nothing happened.

Then I grabbed my win 7 boot disk. I started my computer expecting a horrible re-booting process. However, windows 7 started right away.

I am really confused.

dr_explodoh

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 dual core 5200+ 2.7 GHZ
RAM: 3x 1g DDR2 RAM
GPU: ATI R5670 cyclone 1GB x2 crossfire enabled
mother board: MSI K9A2 CF Ver 1
monitor: acer AL1951 19"
Op Sys: Win 7 32bit

dr_explodoh

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Okay.
So I have come to the conclusion that my hard drive is causing the current issue. It's dead. It crashed with the blue screen this time and gave me code0x000000F4
Now I turn on my PC and I get a disk read error, HD is dead.

However, previously it was my GPU that was fried. As soon as I turned on the power I would get a checkerboard mess. New graphics card, the screen looks nice.

Now I am wondering what could causing these failures. Temps are all fine.

I don't want to keep replacing fried hardware, so now I am looking for the root cause.

If my power supply was too low, could that be causing these issues?
That's the only thing I can guess.