ATI 4870 Overheating

Hi,
recently my computer has been randomly shutting off. I suspected that there was a problem with either my graphics card or power supply, so for the past couple of weeks I have been monitoring my system temperatures.

Today when i turned on my computer my HIS ati 4870 had a temperature of 115 degrees Celsius. I quickly turned of my computer and hoped it was a driver error and when I restarted my computer the temperature read a much more reasonable 60 degrees celsius. I updated my drivers and everything was normal for a couple of hours. later that day i woke my computer up from standby and again the temperature was at 119 degrees celsius. within a minute my computer crashed and when i opened my case smelt like it was almost burning, I took out my graphics card and cleaned out all the dust.

I was wondering if there is anything that I should do to stop my card from overheating and causing damage to my system. I do not have my gpu overclocked and i wasnt running any games or intenses programs when this happened.

Here is my full system
RAIDMAX RX-700SS 700W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler, free TX-2 Thermal Paste Included Inside

ASRock AOD790GX/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

HIS H487FN512P Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about 4870 overheating
  1. If your card isn't already fried, try removing the stock heat sink and replacing the thermal paste with new grease.
    Alternatively you could spend some more money on a cooler for it; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233058

Though I'd just consider upgrading.
  2. Before going that route I'd make sure the fan is still spinning. They can die.
  3. yeah check the fan then if that's good replace the paste on your gpu heatsink
  4. Does the card push the air out the back, or recycle it? If it's recycled, make sure that you have good through-case ventilation, or a fan on the side of the case near the gpu. I have 2 of those cards, and I haven't had any heat problems with their out-of-case airflow.
  5. The fan was still spinning and it recycles the air in the case so when i bought my computer i bought a special pci slot cooler so there is very good airflow within my case.

Also, I dont want to touch the heatsync yet because my card should be under warranty for 2 more months.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product