No 8-pin for motherboard

I have a problem... I changed the power supply of one of my computer and it doesn't have the 8-pin for the motherboard. However, i have read on the internet that i can use the 4-pin instead.

Right now it looks like this:


Is it safe or should i buy a 8-pin adapter ?

The computer is powering up but nothing is displayed on the screen (black screen). I want to be sure that the problem isn't related to the 8-pin plug on the motherboard before looking for other sources of the problem

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. Usually you don't need to buy 8PIN socket. Just alter the placement of the pin towards the left of the socket. Try placing the pin in several direction of the socket. It will work.

    Even if you need to buy, just a simple converter will work for you.



    It seems an Asus Mobo.
  2. ungovernable said:

    Right now it looks like this:
    http://www.pirate-punk.net/psu.jpg
    :o
    Grab a can of air while your at it
  3. ungovernable said:
    I have a problem... I changed the power supply of one of my computer and it doesn't have the 8-pin for the motherboard. However, i have read on the internet that i can use the 4-pin instead.

    Right now it looks like this:
    http://www.pirate-punk.net/psu.jpg

    Is it safe or should i buy a 8-pin adapter ?

    The computer is powering up but nothing is displayed on the screen (black screen). I want to be sure that the problem isn't related to the 8-pin plug on the motherboard before looking for other sources of the problem

    Thanks

    U plugged it to the right. It should be in the left.

    BTW, it should not fit properly to the right part, as 1 of the pins is with rounded corner.
  4. What power supply from planet Earth only comes with a 4 pin connector???

    How are your cpu temps with all that dust clogging your heatsink?
  5. geekapproved said:
    What power supply from planet Earth only comes with a 4 pin connector???

    How are your cpu temps with all that dust clogging your heatsink?

    Not all CPU's don't need all that power : )

    I just checked some mobos and they do need 4pin : )
  6. nikorr said:
    U plugged it to the right. It should be in the left.

    BTW, it should not fit properly to the right part, as 1 of the pins is with rounded corner.

    He's got it in the right position, you're looking at it backwards ;)
  7. delluser1 said:
    He's got it in the right position, you're looking at it backwards ;)

    On my ASUS is the other way than : )
  8. nikorr said:
    On my ASUS is the other way than : )
    Some might call me a fan boi, 98% of what I use is Asus, here's a hint; you can't see the clip can you ?
    Go here, you can see the 4 pin and 8 pin connectors next to each other, what I said should become more clear
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
  9. nikorr said:
    Not all CPU's don't need all that power : )

    I just checked some mobos and they do need 4pin : )


    You quoted me but still failed to read what I wrote.

    I never said anything about a cpu or mobo, I said "WHAT POWER SUPPLY FROM PLANET EARTH ONLY COMES WITH A 4 PIN CONNECTOR"? end quote :hello:
  10. delluser1 said:
    Some might call me a fan boi, 98% of what I use is Asus, here's a hint; you can't see the clip can you ?
    Go here, you can see the 4 pin and 8 pin connectors next to each other, what I said should become more clear
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    O yeah, no clip -- upside down : ) Cool.
  11. I think ungovernable has got his answer. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Power Supplies Computer