Need some help, no power to anything I've tried everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatWallet

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Hello all. I just recently built a new computer that I had running great until yesterday morning. I was browsing the internet when it completely shut down. No power to anything, no lights on the mobo nothing. The night before I had just overclocked it to 4ghz and ran prime95 for 6 hours and everything was fine. I've gone through two PSU, I've bench tested the mobo every possible way, ram in, ram out, one stick etc. The only way the mobo shows signs of life is it I slowly put the 24 pin into the motherboard in such a way that the lights on the mobo flash for a split second, but I can not consistently duplicate it. I took off teh HSF, resat the CPU and HSF put new thermal compound on and bench tested it again and still nothing. Bad mobo? This is the first computer I have build in a few years so I'm really not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I jumped the PSU it would run the fans and HDD but anything going through the mobo wouldn't do anything.

The computer specs are as follows.
AMD x4 965 BE
Asrock 870 Extreme 3 mobo
XFX HD5850
XFX XXX 650w PSU
8gb G Skill Sniper
Samsung F3 1tb

Solution
I'm thinking mobo, too. As unlikely as it is; however, I would try testing each PSU by doing the paper clip test. I don't usually recommend this test, as the results are often false positives, but let's rule out PSU. Grab a paper clip. Open it up so that you can jump the green wire and the black wire next to the green wire. Do this to all PSUs. If all of them turn on, then the likely culprit is the mobo. If none of the PSUs turn on, try changing the power cord that goes from wall to the PSU.
I'm thinking mobo, too. As unlikely as it is; however, I would try testing each PSU by doing the paper clip test. I don't usually recommend this test, as the results are often false positives, but let's rule out PSU. Grab a paper clip. Open it up so that you can jump the green wire and the black wire next to the green wire. Do this to all PSUs. If all of them turn on, then the likely culprit is the mobo. If none of the PSUs turn on, try changing the power cord that goes from wall to the PSU.

Solution

MeatWallet

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

Thanks guys.

I tried the paper clip test on both PSU and both power up fine. I RMA'd the mobo, hopefully that fixes the problem.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In case the mobo switch does not solve the problem (it probably will), the one function that the paper clip tests on the PSU's did NOT verify is the possibility of a simple wiring flaw in the output wires, especially in the 24-pin connector on the end. Recall that there were signs of some intermittent connections around that area as you did your testing. However, it would be hard to believe TWO PSU's had that same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.