Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Gigabyte Motherboard Issue] "Main BIOS Checksum Error!"

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 14, 2012 12:59:32 AM

Hello, I've bought a gaming computer online that contains a GA-970A-D3 Gigabyte motherboard.
I've been using it for about 2-3 months now without any problems. I did not update my BIOS or anything because I expected the website I bought this computer from (cyberpowerpc) to have already taken care of that. One night I shut off my computer, and the next day I turn on my computer, it boots as it normally would: the computer gives one beep, and I receive the logo message. But then, I receive this message:


Quote:
Warning: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!
Retrieving recovery source from HPA..HPA BIOS not available!!
Retreiving recovery source from Back BIOS.... Done!
Writing BIOS Image..... _____K OK


The part where I added the "_______" contains a number that increases
all the way to 4080K, and then the computer reboots and completely restarts this process.

Some extra information:
1)My PSU is not the issue as it's a 700W Corsair Brand PSU. My PC originally came with a 700W PSU with a very bad brand (XtremeGear), so I replaced it with the Corsair the minute I got it (Which was 2-3 months ago XD)

2)I've already cleared my CMOS by both using the jumper, and removing the battery for 30 seconds with no success.

3)I don't believe it is a wiring issue because it worked untouched for the 2-3 months that I have been using it.

4)The cursor is under "OK" when I am given this error message, but pressing ENTER or any other keys will not do anything.

5)I am still able to enter the BIOS menu from the logo screen.

6) I have Q-Flashed the BIOS from F6 to F7 and the problem still persists.

The only thing that I haven't tried is replacing the battery, which I am planning on going over to CVS and buying one tomorrow, but I really don't think the battery is the issue since I've only had this computer for 2-3 months.

I've tried to be as detailed as I can in order for someone on the forums to help me, but if there is any other information that you need, please reply and let me know. I have spending a very long time attempting many things to get this to work, and I'd really appreciate any help. ;) 
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 1:18:59 AM

Try replacing your battery.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 1:28:41 AM

Try taking all but one stick of RAM out. If you bought it from cyberpowerpc you probably have some sort of warranty on it from them. That would probably be the best option. Also look into how to dump the BIOS on this board and see if that solves the problem. Finally, stick a Windows Install DVD in and see if you can get to the Install screen. If you can, there's probably a problem with your HDD or, your Windows install is corrupted. Either way, it's worth a shot. Probably try the install dvd first, then look into dumping the BIOS.

Come back with your results.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 14, 2012 1:50:27 AM

Thank you for the suggestions!

Attempt with RAM - No success

Attempt with Windows 7 Operating System Disk - No success, mainly because it won't allow me to boot from the CD. Plus, I truly believe that the Operating System has nothing to do with it, and that it is the BIOS that is corrupt.

Attempt with replacing the battery - I'm going to buy a new battery tomorrow, I'll be sure to give an update on that as well. I'm truly hoping that this will fix it :\

And about the warranty, I do have a 1 year warranty but I'm currently trying to attempt as many possible solutions as I can before turning it in, I'm also not sure if cyberpower will even accept my computer since I changed the power supply.

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 1:55:50 AM

Purple18 said:
Thank you for the suggestions!

Attempt with RAM - No success

Attempt with Windows 7 Operating System Disk - No success, mainly because it won't allow me to boot from the CD. Plus, I truly believe that the Operating System has nothing to do with it, and that it is the BIOS that is corrupt.

Attempt with replacing the battery - I'm going to buy a new battery tomorrow, I'll be sure to give an update on that as well. I'm truly hoping that this will fix it :\

And about the warranty, I do have a 1 year warranty but I'm currently trying to attempt as many possible solutions as I can before turning it in, I'm also not sure if cyberpower will even accept my computer since I changed the power supply.



This should be the CMOS battery issue.


For the warranty cocern, if it is CMOS battery issue then the battery has warranty of six months mostly.
m
0
l
January 14, 2012 2:02:50 AM

Alright, Thanks!
My CMOS battery is CR2032. Should I just buy a CR2032 battery at my local pharmacy (CVS) for about 2-3 dollars, since they are currently in stock?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 2:04:43 AM

Purple18 said:
Alright, Thanks!
My CMOS battery is CR2032. Should I just buy a CR2032 battery at my local pharmacy (CVS) for about 2-3 dollars, since they are currently in stock?


CMOS battery doesn't cost much. All you need to ensure is the voltage matching. Rest all are fine with any brand.
m
0
l
January 14, 2012 4:30:05 PM

Replaced the battery, and the problem still remains.
m
0
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 4:56:57 PM

Yeah, personally I have never seen a battery go dead on a new computer. Sounds like your motherboard died to me. I suppose it could also be your power supply but probably the board. Your best bet is to contact CyberpowerPC and ask them what to do. Most prebuilt PCs come with a 1 year parts warranty.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2012 11:46:28 PM

Put the old PSU back in. Odds are, you have already voided the warranty from cracking it open BUT, who knows. I am not sure of their warranty about working on their machine. Again, look into warranty repair.

I also, once again, recommend dumping the BIOS. There is likely a "back-up" BIOS on the board that can be dumped back into the primary CMOS. Gigabyte likes to hype their "Dual-BIOS" and "Virtual BIOS". It's not too terribly difficult to dump them back to original/stable versions but, it's not as simple as "resetting" the BIOS. It is something all-but entirely different
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 5:35:58 AM

I've already attempted dumping the BIOS, and even shorting the Main BIOS chip for the computer to force boot the Backup BIOS, but it didn't work.
I actually attempted to flash my BIOS to every version available to my board, and when I flashed to F3 (successfully, no interruptions), my computer would no longer even boot in the BIOS, the fans are running and everything, but it doesn't boot.

From this point there is nothing more that I can do, I'm going to put in the old PSU that I fortunately kept and try and send it in for warranty. Thanks for all the help everyone.

m
0
l
March 24, 2012 3:15:28 AM

i had same problem with my gigabyte main board but it was recovered form backup bios, u shuld try to contact service center, or try to reset all setting as default in bios menu, del>load optimized default. then press f10 to save reboot.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 5:24:28 AM

I also have an exactly same problem.? Nothing seems to work. Change the battery, reflash, upgrade BIOS, set to fail safe, set to optimized.. Nothing.. :-( Is there anything that I can do?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 1:52:03 PM

very same situation i have right now, my motherboard is m68m s2p, it all stuck in Bios Auto Recovering..... and i cannot even get in to the BIOS.. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 6:04:12 AM

My Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 is doing the same after 4 weeks :(  Contacted Gigabyte 5 days ago and they still haven't read the flipping mail. Just want to know if it's defo a mainboard issue.
m
0
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 7:30:44 AM

Old, dead post. Mods need to close it.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 6:16:49 PM

hevydevyTH said:
My Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 is doing the same after 4 weeks :(  Contacted Gigabyte 5 days ago and they still haven't read the flipping mail. Just want to know if it's defo a mainboard issue.


Have u resolved your problem with the bios? Mine are screwed just like yours and I am curious as to the fix.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 7:43:58 AM

capt4377 said:
Have u resolved your problem with the bios? Mine are screwed just like yours and I am curious as to the fix.



Check out the newegg site and look at the one egg reviews for the Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD5 motherboard . Many are having the same BIOS updating loop issue you indicate in your post. This appears to be an issue with some UD5 motherboards. I was researching a new MB for a new system build. I thought I would try the 8 core AMD bulldozer. I built a system using a Gigabyte P55A-UD7 and an Intel i5 750 Socket 1156 processor. I am very happy with this Mother board/ processor combination.

I decided to compare the differences between the 990 FXA UD5 and UD7. The UD5 has bios loop issues that seem to surface at approximately two months. The UD7 has power issues with revision 1 of the MB which makes over clocking difficult to impossible. Gigabyte has a revision 2 of the 990 FXA-UD7 motherboard, however, most posts on NewEgg indicate Gigabyte will not RMA the revision 1 board and replace it with revision 2 even though there is a known issue with the older board (Please review NewEgg customer reviews with one egg for the 990 FXA-UD7 motherboard).

It would be nice to learn if Gigabyte followed through with their promises to promptly correct the issues described in the various "one star" reviews on the NewEgg site.

My next Mother Board may not (will not) be a Gigabyte.

I wish I could purchase a MB and processor made in USA with USA components. The greedy PC manufacturers go to Third World Countries for cheap labor. Other World Computing has a product line of SSD's that is made in USA. OWC will receive my business as soon as I decide which SSD best meets my needs. Please check out Computer Power User Magazine's (April or May 2012 issue) interview with the owner of OWC. It is good article and he explains why he builds his product in the USA.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:28:58 AM

I had the same BIOS problem today on my GA-990FXA-UD3. Here's what I did to fix it. I downloaded the latest BIOS from Gigabyte's website for my motherboard. In this case I took my chances with a Beta version. Had nothing to lose. After flashing the BIOS error came up again then looped through once or twice, I can't be sure on that because I was reading this thread ;)  . Anyway, the next thing I know my screen stated "Loading Operating System" like always. But it would hang. Then I remembered I had my flash drive USB stick still in the back of the computer. I removed it and my computer booted as if there were no problems at all. I didn't load any defaults or optimized defaults because I boot into Windows 7 Pro from a SSD which requires SATA to be set to AHDI *I think that's what it is* so the defaults would fail to allow me to boot correctly. But, if you do boot from a hard drive, you may want to reset to optimized defaults. Anyone having this issue, try the latest BIOS update from Gigabytes website. Others may not work.

Hope you all get your systems running, if you haven't already.

Take Care
m
0
l
June 23, 2013 2:28:50 PM

Removing the battery worked for me!
I have a Ga 970a-ud3 motherboard and I was having the same problem, but I removed the cmos batery and wait for 30 min +- and it worked =D
m
0
l
June 23, 2013 2:41:44 PM

alBraga said:
Removing the battery worked for me!
I have a Ga 970a-ud3 motherboard and I was having the same problem, but I removed the cmos batery and wait for 30 min +- and it worked =D


Good to hear that your solution ended up being so simple as that. I tried that when I had the issue. It's been close to a year now without BIOS errors. :)  This has turned out to be one of the best mother boards I've ever used to build a system with. Take care
m
0
l
June 23, 2013 2:41:44 PM

alBraga said:
Removing the battery worked for me!
I have a Ga 970a-ud3 motherboard and I was having the same problem, but I removed the cmos batery and wait for 30 min +- and it worked =D


Good to hear that your solution ended up being so simple as that. I tried that when I had the issue. It's been close to a year now without BIOS errors. :)  This has turned out to be one of the best mother boards I've ever used to build a system with. Take care
m
0
l
June 23, 2013 2:41:46 PM

alBraga said:
Removing the battery worked for me!
I have a Ga 970a-ud3 motherboard and I was having the same problem, but I removed the cmos batery and wait for 30 min +- and it worked =D


Good to hear that your solution ended up being so simple as that. I tried that when I had the issue. It's been close to a year now without BIOS errors. :)  This has turned out to be one of the best mother boards I've ever used to build a system with. Take care
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 1:22:38 AM

the big problem with gigabyte boards is there is no support to speak of.

rmabwing5 said:
alBraga said:
Removing the battery worked for me!
I have a Ga 970a-ud3 motherboard and I was having the same problem, but I removed the cmos batery and wait for 30 min +- and it worked =D


Good to hear that your solution ended up being so simple as that. I tried that when I had the issue. It's been close to a year now without BIOS errors. :)  This has turned out to be one of the best mother boards I've ever used to build a system with. Take care


m
0
l
February 8, 2014 11:40:41 PM

Purple18 said:
Hello, I've bought a gaming computer online that contains a GA-970A-D3 Gigabyte motherboard.
I've been using it for about 2-3 months now without any problems. I did not update my BIOS or anything because I expected the website I bought this computer from (cyberpowerpc) to have already taken care of that. One night I shut off my computer, and the next day I turn on my computer, it boots as it normally would: the computer gives one beep, and I receive the logo message. But then, I receive this message:


Quote:
Warning: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!
Retrieving recovery source from HPA..HPA BIOS not available!!
Retreiving recovery source from Back BIOS.... Done!
Writing BIOS Image..... _____K OK


The part where I added the "_______" contains a number that increases
all the way to 4080K, and then the computer reboots and completely restarts this process.

Some extra information:
1)My PSU is not the issue as it's a 700W Corsair Brand PSU. My PC originally came with a 700W PSU with a very bad brand (XtremeGear), so I replaced it with the Corsair the minute I got it (Which was 2-3 months ago XD)

2)I've already cleared my CMOS by both using the jumper, and removing the battery for 30 seconds with no success.

3)I don't believe it is a wiring issue because it worked untouched for the 2-3 months that I have been using it.

4)The cursor is under "OK" when I am given this error message, but pressing ENTER or any other keys will not do anything.

5)I am still able to enter the BIOS menu from the logo screen.

6) I have Q-Flashed the BIOS from F6 to F7 and the problem still persists.

The only thing that I haven't tried is replacing the battery, which I am planning on going over to CVS and buying one tomorrow, but I really don't think the battery is the issue since I've only had this computer for 2-3 months.

I've tried to be as detailed as I can in order for someone on the forums to help me, but if there is any other information that you need, please reply and let me know. I have spending a very long time attempting many things to get this to work, and I'd really appreciate any help. ;) 


m
0
l
!