My Shopping Cart for a budget gaming machine

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2011 2:41:25 PM

Hello,

I haven't picked out my video card yet because I have a 9800 gtx I can use until I have more cash. However I think I have a sweet set up and would like a more experienced opinion if all my parts are compatible or not. I'm pretty good at building computers, but I haven't done so in the past 5 years or so. Upgrading from a P4 530. So here it is.

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz

2X Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill RV2-500 500 W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready PS

Then I have a HD, DVDR, Monitor, etc already. All the stuff that I have to buy is about $320 us. Do you guys think that is a good deal? Should I wait around for Intel before I upgrade? Thank you for your help.

More about : shopping cart budget gaming machine

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2011 3:18:59 PM

It's not that good. First, you're getting an ancient board. Second, you're getting an overly expensive, underperforming CPU. Finally, unless you absolutely cannot wait a month or so, there is no reason to not look towards the rerelease of Sandy Bridge.

The Sandy Bridge i5-2500K is only $225, but it would easily double the performance of the X2. Given the boards aren't too expensive, there is no reason not to wait. Of course, it should also drive down the prices on AMD builds, so even if you can't afford the i5, you'd be getting a cheaper build.

If you absolutely want to build right now, I'd make some changes.

CPU: X3 450. It's actually faster than the X2, and can be unlocked and overclocked just like the X2, only if the unlocked cores aren't stable, you've still got a triple core instead of a dual core.

Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 or the ASRock 770 Extreme3. A bit more expensive, but both are high quality and use current chipsets. The 870 would allow you to Crossfire too, if you want that.

PSU: I don't trust that Rosewill PSU. It's not even 80+ Certified, which is a bad sign. Instead, look at either the Antec BP550 for $50 after rebate or Antec Earthwatts 430W for $45. Both of those are very high quality and decently priced.

RAM: A horrible choice. I don't know the exact model you're looking at, but 4 GB of those sticks run around $80. Corsair's XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 sticks will only cost $40 or G.Skill's RipjawsX 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CL 7 sticks would be $65. Either way, you'd save a ton of money, and get higher quality sticks.
February 11, 2011 8:55:13 PM

Thank you. You have helped me decide to invest my money in a hydroponic system instead and hopefully I'll get a computer next month or so.
m
l
February 26, 2011 1:17:05 PM

Best answer selected by Funions.
m
l
!