Sign in with
Your question

XFX 5770 & Windows 7 64bit problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2010 3:16:09 AM

I'm reposting the following because i'm still having this same issue. I've also tried running the registry cleaner (thought this fixed the problem, but i guess i was just lucky for 2 hrs)..I've read recently this card has a lot of issues running on the windows 64 bit platform? Can anyone verify their 5770 card works ok? If so, is there something else i need to do to get this thing to work right? Catalyst setting changes? Please help me, I've been messing with this thing for the last 3 days. Today i even tried re-installing windows and drivers all over again...still have the same problem. Thanks

Original Post:

Hello, I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue and can help. I just built a new pc and so far so good except when gaming. What happens is when i play starcraft 2 or say operation flashpoint (1080p high settings) the games will play for 10-30 minutes (it varies) before it slows down to only a few frames per second. Another thing that happens is when i move the mouse the sounds starts skipping. I'm able to save just before the computer finally freezes and i have to hard reset. Note: if i stop movement of the mouse fps are normal? I called xfx and they said possibly memory but i'm not so sure, I ran the windows 7 memtest - no errors. I tried each dim individually - same problem. I've also tried re-installing drivers, checking bios to ensure dram setting were correct - they are. I pulled the graphics card and re-seated. I opened the case to test for heat issue, card never goes over 60c...I do not overclock anything.. I don't know what to do...

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit
amd phenom II 955 @stock 3.2ghz
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3
xfx 5770 - revision 2 card (egg heatsink)
2 x 4gb corsair xms 1333mhz memory modules (in dual channel)
750 watt ultra LSP
1 tb sata 6 g/bs western digital black hard drive

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2010 7:25:31 AM

What driver version are you running? You should always download the latest drivers. The current one is 10.11, but that's due to change in a week or 2, probably.

Also, try running FurMark. Although this program is notorious for creating unrealistic load on the GPU and creating a lot of heat, it is a good indicator of GPU stability. Let it run for 30 minutes or so on max settings and try to look out for graphical glitches.
m
l
December 12, 2010 6:43:49 PM

What kind of mouse are you using, and have tried another game?
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 4:11:07 AM

I've used 10.11, have also tried 10.10 and 10.7 (i read the older two drivers were more stable). Also, read a few reviews that used these drivers when testing the card in a w7x64 environment. None of these have worked for me.

I'm using a pretty basic usb logitec mouse and keyboard, running them with just windows drivers. I could try downloading the driver from logitec, do you think that would make a difference?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2010 4:22:25 AM

The default windows drivers shouldn't interfere with the system, since they DO come from microsoft itself. I'm also using a logitech keyboard and mouse via USB, and a Radeon HD5750 on the latest 10.11 drivers.

It might also be that the card isn't receiving enough power. Is the auxiliary 6-pin power connector seated properly?
m
l
December 29, 2010 12:44:29 AM

I returned the card.
m
l
February 20, 2011 1:25:21 AM

malibumike said:
I'm reposting the following because i'm still having this same issue. I've also tried running the registry cleaner (thought this fixed the problem, but i guess i was just lucky for 2 hrs)..I've read recently this card has a lot of issues running on the windows 64 bit platform? Can anyone verify their 5770 card works ok? If so, is there something else i need to do to get this thing to work right? Catalyst setting changes? Please help me, I've been messing with this thing for the last 3 days. Today i even tried re-installing windows and drivers all over again...still have the same problem. Thanks

Original Post:

Hello, I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue and can help. I just built a new pc and so far so good except when gaming. What happens is when i play starcraft 2 or say operation flashpoint (1080p high settings) the games will play for 10-30 minutes (it varies) before it slows down to only a few frames per second. Another thing that happens is when i move the mouse the sounds starts skipping. I'm able to save just before the computer finally freezes and i have to hard reset. Note: if i stop movement of the mouse fps are normal? I called xfx and they said possibly memory but i'm not so sure, I ran the windows 7 memtest - no errors. I tried each dim individually - same problem. I've also tried re-installing drivers, checking bios to ensure dram setting were correct - they are. I pulled the graphics card and re-seated. I opened the case to test for heat issue, card never goes over 60c...I do not overclock anything.. I don't know what to do...

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3
xfx 5770 - revision 2 card (egg heatsink)
2 x 4gb corsair xms 1333mhz memory modules (in dual channel)
750 watt ultra LSP
1 tb sata 6 g/bs western digital black hard drive

wow almost the same specs

i have
Windows 7 64bit
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3
xfx 5770 -( not sure what kind but its not the one with the full cover)
2 x 4gb corsair xms 1600mhz memory modules (in dual channel)
750w coolermaster hx
two 500 gb not in raid

i also have the same problem, my pc is good for everything i do except gaming. it tends to freeze when i play crisis even at the lowest settings, civilization V, and just cause 2.

i have catalysts drivers 11.2
m
l
May 16, 2011 11:57:39 PM

curious...is you memory oc'd to get that 1600...by default it runs at 1333..at least mine did..mine are vengence though...if so, try playing your game at 1333, just a thought..l
m
l
January 27, 2012 6:16:50 AM

What SP(service pack) are you using? Most of the users, that complain that their computer shuts off or powers down using the 5770 while gaming is because most don't have a genuine version of windows and/or haven't updated their os. Try manually installing sp1 if you don't already have it plus security updates. I am currently running crossfire 5770's and this fixed it for me.
m
l
!