malibumike

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm reposting the following because i'm still having this same issue. I've also tried running the registry cleaner (thought this fixed the problem, but i guess i was just lucky for 2 hrs)..I've read recently this card has a lot of issues running on the windows 64 bit platform? Can anyone verify their 5770 card works ok? If so, is there something else i need to do to get this thing to work right? Catalyst setting changes? Please help me, I've been messing with this thing for the last 3 days. Today i even tried re-installing windows and drivers all over again...still have the same problem. Thanks

Original Post:

Hello, I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue and can help. I just built a new pc and so far so good except when gaming. What happens is when i play starcraft 2 or say operation flashpoint (1080p high settings) the games will play for 10-30 minutes (it varies) before it slows down to only a few frames per second. Another thing that happens is when i move the mouse the sounds starts skipping. I'm able to save just before the computer finally freezes and i have to hard reset. Note: if i stop movement of the mouse fps are normal? I called xfx and they said possibly memory but i'm not so sure, I ran the windows 7 memtest - no errors. I tried each dim individually - same problem. I've also tried re-installing drivers, checking bios to ensure dram setting were correct - they are. I pulled the graphics card and re-seated. I opened the case to test for heat issue, card never goes over 60c...I do not overclock anything.. I don't know what to do...

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit
amd phenom II 955 @stock 3.2ghz
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3
xfx 5770 - revision 2 card (egg heatsink)
2 x 4gb corsair xms 1333mhz memory modules (in dual channel)
750 watt ultra LSP
1 tb sata 6 g/bs western digital black hard drive

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
What driver version are you running? You should always download the latest drivers. The current one is 10.11, but that's due to change in a week or 2, probably.

Also, try running FurMark. Although this program is notorious for creating unrealistic load on the GPU and creating a lot of heat, it is a good indicator of GPU stability. Let it run for 30 minutes or so on max settings and try to look out for graphical glitches.

malibumike

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I've used 10.11, have also tried 10.10 and 10.7 (i read the older two drivers were more stable). Also, read a few reviews that used these drivers when testing the card in a w7x64 environment. None of these have worked for me.

I'm using a pretty basic usb logitec mouse and keyboard, running them with just windows drivers. I could try downloading the driver from logitec, do you think that would make a difference?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The default windows drivers shouldn't interfere with the system, since they DO come from microsoft itself. I'm also using a logitech keyboard and mouse via USB, and a Radeon HD5750 on the latest 10.11 drivers.

It might also be that the card isn't receiving enough power. Is the auxiliary 6-pin power connector seated properly?

peace28

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

wow almost the same specs

i have
Windows 7 64bit
amd phenom II 955 @stock 3.2ghz
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3
xfx 5770 -( not sure what kind but its not the one with the full cover)
2 x 4gb corsair xms 1600mhz memory modules (in dual channel)
750w coolermaster hx
two 500 gb not in raid

i also have the same problem, my pc is good for everything i do except gaming. it tends to freeze when i play crisis even at the lowest settings, civilization V, and just cause 2.

i have catalysts drivers 11.2

splicer7

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
curious...is you memory oc'd to get that 1600...by default it runs at 1333..at least mine did..mine are vengence though...if so, try playing your game at 1333, just a thought..l

pradagg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
What SP(service pack) are you using? Most of the users, that complain that their computer shuts off or powers down using the 5770 while gaming is because most don't have a genuine version of windows and/or haven't updated their os. Try manually installing sp1 if you don't already have it plus security updates. I am currently running crossfire 5770's and this fixed it for me.